cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

New BT smart hub disappointed

Well I received my smart hub on Monday slightly bigger than my old hub 5a plugged it done the usual separated wireless channels turned off smart setup etc the user interface is ok, I'm on Eci cabinet and as this is a Broadcom chipset it synced 2mg lower than the 5a,as for wifi I manually set channels as before on channel 6 2.4g and 48 on 5g as they work the best I would say that the wifi coverage is no better or slightly worse than the 5a, it received a software update the next day to no real difference, on the whole I would say it's no better than the home hub 5a or for me slightly worse so this morning I've put my hh5a back in and speeds syncing better than the smart hub, as I paid £50 for this so called upgrade its going on a well known auction site this afternoon, just thought I would share my views with anybody thinking of upgrading I wouldn't bother !

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: New BT smart hub disappointed

I wouldn't pay £50 for new smart hh6 but like many other do find the wifi is better than previous HHs

I wonder if you will get 50% of your £50 back?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Didn't mind paying £50 as cheaper than another model I was looking for and from the write ups so far sounded good but I guess you don't actually find out until you put it into service? I'm sure it will sell ok and I won't be out of pocket well hopefully?
0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

£50 is a bargain for a Router with 3x3 / 4x4 WiFi. You'd have to spend 3x that price at Amazon etc.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Except it is locked to btinternet, locked to BT DNS, locked to whatever version of firmware BT decide you will have etc, etc.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 6 of 8

I was disappointed with mine. The wifi range to the bottom of the garden (30M) was poor, it does not have as many wifi channels as previous hubs. This could be a problem in a congested areas when it has to compete with other routers. Can't select individual wifi protocols, i.e. b, g,n or ac. Other hubs had options.
Too many disconnects, still too sensitive like previous hubs.
So I have gone back to TP Link D9. Going to try the hub again after the next firmware update. Since I like the look of the hub and it's easy for my family to use. Main reason for purchasing it.
0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Well that's confirmed it for me. With the HH5 I get good speeds, it's pretty stable and the wifi is fine around our wee house. I can put up with the OpenRG restart once every two weeks. I did express interest in the HH6 but I didn't really think it would make much difference anyway. Sounds like it might be worse!

0 Ratings
Ridgerunner
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

So much hype in respected computer magazines re smart hub.

As i was forced to recontract to keep BT sport at cheaper price, managed to get a smart hub for free.

In our small 90 year old semi,the wifi strength as shown on our ipads is no stronger (one dot in some rooms) and time to download webpages seems slightly longer than with previous HH5.

Our ipads were allocated to different bands but both show no improvement.

Had it 3 days so far and may well revert to HH5 which is very stable.

0 Ratings