cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_casey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 63

New BT user, ADSL download speeds are low, help please.

Hello,

I am a new customer to BT, myself and my fiancee have moved into our new home, a new build. I would have liked the Infinity option but we only have ADSL capabilities in my area. We had an engineer come out to us on Friday to connect the phone line and the internet. Phone line worked straight away and the internet to my surprise a short while later, so far top marks!

Since then I have experienced fluctuating connection speeds, they have been anywhere between 0.5 mb/s to 12 mb/s. As you'll agree, that's some difference. Now I've read that the line has to settle and after 10 days the actual speed should be more consistant, with that I'll have to wait and see and cross that bridge when I come to it.

Another problem lies is with downloading. I purposely chose BT unlimited downloads (as I online game and download) and my fiancee ordered the phone and internet, but the download speeds I have been experiencing have not exceeded 50 kB/s, but most of the time sits between 1 and 3 kB/s. It is frustrating really as I have just come from a house where we had Virgin ADSL and were topping speeds of 1000kB/s!

I have tried to use the Speed tester, found at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and have come out with some varying results as discussed above, but I can't go any further as the page insists I do not have the latest version of Java, when I have downloaded and installed it. It seems like it's a software issue at my end but do you have any suggestions on how to overcome this problem and the issue of having awful download speeds? I'm pretty sure that there isn't a lot you can do to help me without the 'further diagnostics' but for some reason I can't go any further with that as I get this message when trying to advance...

Java Error
We have detected that Java is not installed or enabled on your device.To use the diagnostic test Java must be installed on your device and enabled in your browser.To install latest version of Sun JRE available for; windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris and other operating systems please click here.

Please Note : After installing Java, please close and re-open your browser to access the diagnostic tests

... but this is not the case, Java is installed! aargh! Any suggestions on how to make the Java work? I have installed and restarted my machine, uninstalled and restarted my machine AND repeated this process time and time again. I've done everything I can to make it work but it doesn't. Is there a non Java way to record the data needed to proceed?

For the record, I'm using a laptop less than 6 months old and I am plugged into the hub in the master BT port of the house (in the hall), not an extension port, connected via CAT5E ethernet cable to my laptop. The latest speed test results come back as:

download: 5.42
upload: 0.72
ping: 31.25

This is worrying as my missus needs the internet to work from home this week as the Olympics are on and she can't get to London. Any help on a solution or solving the annoying Java problem would be massively appreciated.

Please help!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
62 REPLIES 62
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 63

Re: New BT user, ADSL download speeds are low, help please.

Hi, to help us find the problem with your connection please may you see the following steps below:

1) Have you tried the test socket?
2) if your able to please run a BT speed test http://speedtester.bt.com (not beta version)
3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 from landline. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.
4) please post adsl line statistics
ADSL Line Stats Help
If you have a BT Home Hub then....

Then:
1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home
2) click Settings
3) Click Advanced Settings
4) Click Broadband
5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL
The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3)

Cheers,

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
a_casey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 63

I've found the ADSL stats if they will help...

Surely with 11.99 (currently) speed I should be getting faster than 22.2 kB/s while downloading? Latest speed test results (basic test) are...

download: 10.69
Upload: 0.82
Ping: 36.25

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:27:15
Downstream:11.99 Mbps
Upstream:1.039 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.2 dB / 7.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):30.2 dB / 16.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):222320 / 2260
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):153608 / 271
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):4994 / 338
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 63

Your beta download speed seems ok. As your in the 10day training period the exchange will be finding the right stable speed for your line. It may resync during this time.

You have a lot of CRC, HEC errors which could slow your speeds down. If it does become a serious problem please try test socket, but as your in a 10day line training period the router needs to be connected 24/7.

Have you tried the quite line test?

Cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 63

hi to start with welcome to the forums during your first 10 days you are in a line training period during which times you can expect varying speeds and some disconnections while the exchange equipment calculates your optimum connection speed during this time all you can do is ensue the hub is left powered up 24/7 with no manual restarts

As to your Java problem Java should automatically start once installed all I can suggest is uninstall it and retry again the BT speed tester requires Java to run and is the only test accepted for fault finding by BT you could post your full hub stats this would give us a chance to see what your best expected speed should be
to do this enter 192.168.1.254into your web browser address bar once past the password stage then go to settings select advanced then broadband ten connection then post the full details shown including those displayed by clicking the show more detail tab
0 Ratings
a_casey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 63

Wow, thanks for such a speedy reply!

1) I've tried the test socket and the resluts are...

download: 12.82
upload: 0.85
ping: 48.75

...a slight improvement on before, but no improvement on the download speed.

2) I have been trying to run the speedtest, but the Java issue mentioned in the original post is preventing me getting any data from it other than the download/upload/ping speeds I have posted.

3) I can not perform this check as I do not have a landline telephone yet (getting one tomorrow morning)

4) I have posted the ADSL status in a previous response.

Thank you for the help so far, fingers crossed you can help me further 🙂

0 Ratings
a_casey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 63

Also, I've switched to the test socket when Jac_95 says I need to be connected 24/7. Will this cause problems further down the line?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, and thank you for the help you have given so far.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 63

Hi ,

I would stay connected 24/7 in the mean time. Then after the 10day training period connect to the test socket, This will eliminate any internal wiring issues and hopefully reduce the amount of errors and then repost adsl stats.

When your able to can you try and post the BT speedtest (not beta version)
And when you have a landline can you try the quite line test.

Cheers

Try a Search
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 63

The 11.99mb is your connection speed you download speed is controlled by your IP Profile which is 88.2% of your connection speed your IP profile will be around 10.57mb your download can be anything up to that

as has been posted the errors on your line are high for your connection time and will affect your download speed
the increase in connection speed indicate some internal wiring problems but we can help you with that after the line training period
0 Ratings
a_casey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 63

Before I received your latest message I had screwed the front plate back onto the master socket and plugged the cable back into the front of the face[;ate. I couldn't leave it uncovered as my cat is a bit bitey and likes to chew things...

I've ran a test and I am getting similar results on the ADSL status as you can see...

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:11:14
Downstream: 13.4 Mbps
Upstream: 1.039 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 6.9 dB