cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

New BTHub5 has lost 2.4GHz band!

I upgraded my BT contract  from the normal broadband on BThub 3 to the new BT infinity and BTHub5. It was installed on 20th December and all was well. then about 17.30 on Friday 27th December, wireless devices went offline. It was not picking up the hub but my daughter's iphone and my galaxy phone were working. Computer, laptop tablets and smart could not get a network signal. I have snce realised that it was dual hub (something not explained when purchasing) and that the phones are working on 5.0GHz and the other devices require the 2.4GHz. I have spent most of the Christmas break speaking with BT over 4 days now and cannot understand why it isn't working (being sent a 3rd replacement Hub)and they have said they cannot gaurantee wireless connection! I cannot believe this. It was working fine for years with the Hub 3 and worked for a week with the new Hub 5. What's gone wrong? I've had to buy ethernet cables to use computer and laptop but it's inpracticable to have all thsi cable around the house and it doesn't resolve the fact that we cannot use the tablets or smart TV. Do I cancel the contract or can this be resolved? Would appreciate any help. Someone at work has suggested the wireless for 2.4GHz has been turned off inside the hub but I don't know how this could be checked.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New BTHub5 has lost 2.4GHz band!

Hopefully someone with a HH5 will be able to help, meanwhile, have you tried a factory reset of the home hub?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Yes, done all sorts of tests with remote assistance from BT, nothing is bringing the 2.4GHz band back. But I am getting 'Pinky' firing on all 4 bars whoever 'Pinky' is 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Both bands have the option to disable wireless. I don't know if they operate independently but you can check them by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser, going to Advanced Settings and clicking the Wireless tab. It's the top line in the settings for each band.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

If you have done a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds that should have restored all settings on the homehub back to how it was when you first set it up. This would turn on anything that had been turned off.

Download, install and run inSSider. Click on the 2.4GHz button in the channels drop down box. It will show if your homehub is transmitting on 2.4GHz.

See link for insider. Use the free version.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

If it is only transmitting the 5GHz channel it would appear that you have a faulty Homehub and you will need to wait until the replacement arrives. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

This happens to me too on muy hoe hub 4, I think its a problem with the firmware.  I sometimes find changing the channel between Automatic and a user specified channel gets it back otherwise you might need to press the return to defaults button.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 9

This has happened twice on my HH4. First time it was the firmware update on 4th December which triggered it. The second was a VALUE CHANGE entry on the 1st Jan. both times I carried out a factory reset, although strangely enough the backup image created before the reset on the 1st still blocked the 2.4Ghz band.

Although a previous working image did allow the 2.4 band access. It would seen some sort of firmware value is causing it to stop working.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Just had this happen to me again today so I tried my usual trick of changing the channel from my selected chennel (13) to automatic.  The wierd thing is when I did that there was a field below the channel selection dropdown box that said "Current Channel - 0".  Clearly this is not right and indicates something is going on with the firmware.

Anyway - the quick fix for this issue seems to be to force the HH to change channel.  I get the best result by changing to Automatic and then back again to the channel I have selected.

Just to confirm I'm using the HH4, not HH5.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Hi, many thanks for your replies. It's still not showing the HH5 as a wireless option, not even a poor signal just not there at all. Spent another hours with BT on Friday and their conclusion is they don't know why it isn't showing. Done all the reset, change channels disabling, enabling, even turning of security, still no show. I have ethernet cables trailing all over the house. Awaiting 3rd hub, I don't hold any hope for this workng either. Just cannot understand why it worked and now it doesn't unless it's something to do with this firmware but no body at BT has any answer.

0 Ratings