cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

New Build Confusion - Openreach registration required for a decent connection?

Go to solution

Hello! 

I am moving into a new flat on the 25th of this month and did not expect setting up BT Fibre to be such a hassle. Any help and advice on the following would be greatly appreciated.  

I have been on the phone repeatedly throughout the day and after being passed around various departments within BT, I am thoroughly confused! 

As far as I can tell, my address has not been registered with BT Openreach and this is the problem. Every other address in the building has, however. The door number to my flat will be 65. 1-64 are all showing on BT's shop site as well as Openreach's.

Likewise, superfast broadband is available for numbers 1-64 (according to BT's site). I will have to make do with 1-4 Meg, less than 10% the speed of everyone else in the building and that is just an estimate based on the postcode because, again, the door number is not showing. 

I was assured today in the latest phone call that once I had paid to have a phoneline installed and taken a contract out on the regular copper wire broadband, I might then be able to upgrade to fibre at some point in the future.

I really do not want to commit for twelve months and pay for a service which does not meet our requirements with no guarantee of improvement. Again, any insight on where to go with this next would be appreciated. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: New Build Confusion - Openreach registration required for a decent connection?

Go to solution

Once you have a phone line installed then the Openreach database will be updated usually within days.

If you did order an ADSL at the same time (not necessary) to at least have an internet connection then you would be able to upgrade as soon as the database was upgraded.

You will not be locked into 12 months of ADSL once VDSL is shown as available via the database.

It is worth noting though that you may not get new customer discounts if upgrading so you may wish to wait for the database update once just a phone line is installed.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 3

Re: New Build Confusion - Openreach registration required for a decent connection?

Go to solution

Thanks so much for your reply! That has really cleared matters up. 

I will get the phone line installed by BT and then wait for the database to be updated. 

Very helpful of you. 

0 Ratings