Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonomassey
Regular
Message 1 of 8

New Build Developments

Hi,

I've moved onto a brand new housing estate and currently have BT broadband.  My local exchange is due to go live with Infiniity in September so I was hoping to upgrade to this once it became available.  I've entered my postcode onto the FTTC checker to see if its part of any plan release but it doesn't recognise it.  I then entered the street opposite postcode and it's part of a phase rollout.  My questions is if the 2 cabinets are within 50 metres of each other, would openreach enable the 2 cabinets at the same time?  Also the cabinet on my development was only installed just under a year ago, would it be a possibility that this cabinet is already activated?

Many Thanks

Jono

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Build Developments

If you have a BT telephone line, enter your phone number into the Infinity checker at:

www.bt.com/infinity

This will tell you when it should be available. It shows quarter end dates, but don't be surprised it, towrads the end of the quarter concerned, it slips to the next quarter. Ours was shown as 31/12/11, then 31/3/12 and finally as 30/6/12, going live in early April 2012.

Good luck!

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

'I've moved onto a brand new housing estate and currently have BT broadband. Also the cabinet on my development was only installed just under a year ago, would it be a possibility that this cabinet is already activated?'

Is the new build estate you live on still under construction, if so what percentage would you say it is completed?

Chances are that if the PCP is brand new and supplies a new build estate there won't be many connections in it, if there isn't it probably wouldn't be economically viable for Openreach to spend £35,000 to £50,000 installing a RDSLAM there.

My PCP was missed out for this very same reason, all I can do now is wait until the current roll out is completed in 2014 as Openreach have said they will then review places that were missed off the first phase.

0 Ratings
jonomassey
Regular
Message 4 of 8

They are just about to complete phase 1 which has 85 plots, phase 2 has a further 120 plots to be built between now and 2014. I remember asking openreach when I was in the process of having my broadband set up and the engineer said he was 90% sure all new developments had infinity enabled so they wouldn't have to come back at a later date. I guess i will find out in a couple of months time to be sure.
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

I think it depends how many lines were actually installed on each PCP at the time BT planned FTTC rollout on your exchange. With so many areas to plan they will have taken a very blinkered approach; they probably only look at connected lines and 'future potential' probably doesn't come into the decision making.

We have a silly situation on my exchange where there has been a new development of over 130 dwellings, but at the time rollout was planned at the end of last year only a few were occupied.

A new PCP appeared about that time, but when the FTTC cabinets appeared in March this year the new PCP didn't get a FTTC partner. Now the development is complete and it is one of the few places in town without Fibre Broadband or Virgin Cable, this despite the fact the houses are marketed as including high technology with Cat6 cabling throughout as standard!

Purchasers must be gutted when they find out they are stuck with ADSL2+ at about 10Mbps for the forseeable future....

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

'They are just about to complete phase 1 which has 85 plots, phase 2 has a further 120 plots to be built between now and 2014.'

The development I live had double, if not triple that amount of homes built on it during the time they put RDSLAM's around here but mine was still missed off. There is no other reason mine would have been missed off except for economical reasons as the PCP sits on an open green space just off the pavement, as it is newish, 6 years old the ducting leading to it will have amble space, I have been inside the cabinet and again there is more than enough room to fit a 200 pair E and D Side Quante blocks and it is near an electrical points as there are two lamp posts within 20 feet of it.

All I can do now is wait for phase one of the FTTC/P roll out to be completed in December 2014 and then wait for Openreach to review area's not done in phase one to see if they are worth doing then.

'I remember asking openreach when I was in the process of having my broadband set up and the engineer said he was 90% sure all new developments had infinity enabled so they wouldn't have to come back at a later date. I guess i will find out in a couple of months time to be sure.'

He was 90% wrong, the only thing Openreach will do to enable Fibre Technology (Infinity is just the product name BT Retail sell it under, Openreach engineers shouldn't refer to it as Infinity) on a new build estate is install FTTP while they can as it is what they class as a Greenfield site. Openreach are extremely selective about where and when they will do this though because it is still very costly and they have openly said in the press very recently there is not the demand for a national FTTP roll out. There is nothing they need to do to enable new build houses for FTTC as all the work stops at the PCP, the only thing to do in peoples homes from that point is send an engineer round to install a SSBP and a VDSL Modem.

Even if a new build site goes up on an Exchange that is already Fibre enabled, doesn't mean they will do FTTP there.

0 Ratings
jonomassey
Regular
Message 7 of 8

Ok thanks, looks like I will be stuck with the slow unreliable connection I have now. Just out of interest when an exchange is upgraded to FTTC, does this also mean that the standard ADSL networks get a bit of a boost as well? I know when the Long Eaton exchange was upgraded the std broadband on my mate's properrty went from around 3.0 MBPS to 5.5MBPS. I wasn't sure whether this was becuase of the exchange upgrade on just a coincidence.
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

It could be that the Exchange was upgraded from ADSL Max to ADSL2+, aka 21CN, aka "UPTO 20mbps" or is it 16mbps they say now?.

Upgrading it to support FTTC/P won't do anything for people on ADSL/ADSL2+ though. I sort of hoped with all the people who could get FTTC/P moving onto it would reduce the congestion of data at the exchange but I think I was living in cloud cukoo land with that idea.

0 Ratings