cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

New Build FTTP Connection - Still waiting, 7 weeks in...

Trying to sort my FTTP connection , is driving me up the wall - please help! 

My girlfriend and i moved into our new build house nearly 7 weeks ago now and we are still waiting for our FTTP connection to be set up. 

I have been in constant communication with our site developers, Openreach and now BT, even before we moved in, to try and ensure that our fibre connection is sorted as soon as possible. In this time we have been told various different things, given various different excuses as to why we are not connected, and what is causing the delay. Frustratingly we were meant to be connected to the same cabinet as our neighbours (who have had connection for weeks), but no-one 'realised' it was already full - how can they get this so wrong?!

We finally had our ducting work done, splitter box installed and ONT box installed a few weeks ago now (after many arguments with Openreach and our developers), so we thought we were finally getting somewhere. However, the pon light on the ONT box is flashing, and has been flashing ever since this work was completed - therefore we can't order a fibre package. 

Despite not being able to order I was advised by the developers and Openreach (who have been absolutely bleeding useless throughout this entire saga) to contact BT directly to try and get things going. I spoke to a very helpful lady at BT on Friday 3rd November, who took the serial number of our ONT box etc... and said they would be liasing with Openreach directly to try get us up and running - obviously they are eager for this to be sorted too, as they will be getting the money from us! The lady said i should hear back by the following Friday (10th November) at the latest, though it could take 10 days.

I called BT again a couple of days ago and their systems say that Openreach have still not done what they need to do to get us connected, so i STILL can't order. The pon light continues to flash and our address is still listed as 'we are exploring solutions'.

I have pestered Openreach again, but once again, they don't have a clue. They keep telling me to fill out a newsites form, which i have done many times and have not received a single reply, or any information about what's happening with our connection. Openreach keep churning out the same rubbish without actually answering any of my questions or providing any information. 

We live in a village where our phone signal is awful, and when we do manage to get connected we are using up our mobile data very quickly. We need connection to work from home etc... so these delays are becoming a big issue. 

At this point i am losing patience very quickly, i've had enough of being fobbed off by Openreach. Therefore, i was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding what steps i can take next. 

I thought that, in a new build, things would be set up quickly (i believe connection is actually supposed to be sorted two weeks before occupancy of a new build, according to Openreach's new build information). Obviously i understand that sometimes things can be delayed a little, but this is ridiculous - especially when my neighbours, as well as other houses on the street that don't even have anyone in them yet, are connected already and have been for weeks. 

I wouldn't mind so much if Openreach would actually provide me with some information, or a timeframe - at least i would know what's going on. But all i've done is go round and round in circles with them and we haven't got anywhere. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like we're going to get anywhere anytime soon either. 

Any help or advice would be great - apologies for the rant. 

Thanks!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: New Build FTTP Connection - Still waiting, 7 weeks in...

unfortunately only people that can help are FTTP 0800 587 4787  the forum mods cannot help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Hey Jolly, thanks for that - that number is the one i called on the 3rd and a couple of days ago, they have been helpful but are still waiting on Openreach.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or info on how to push Openreach in these situations, they have been pretty useless to date!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

there are other similar posts with people trying to get FTTP connected  as openreach don't deal with customers and only deal with ISP or your developer then you try to push openreach won't achieve anything -as you are finding out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Put you on FTTC untill this sorted?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

Have just received this from Openreach's Customer Escalations Team... 

"I know moving can be stressful, so I hope to clarify where we are in connecting your property.
I can confirm that your property will be provided with a full fibre to the premises line (a fibre cable all the way from the exchange direct to your property). This means you will have access to ultrafast broadband from a selection of service providers.

In your case, our engineers now need to connect your property to the onsite splitter (this is the onsite equipment that connects your premises to the fibre network)

Even If your premises have already been pre-fitted with an Optical Network terminal (this is actually a modem and will be connected to a wall inside your premises) they may still need access to your premises.

In general, this part of the journey should take around 2 weeks. Once completed, we should be able to move on to the final stage of works, which will be commissioning (the final testing of the network).

We are working as fast as we can to provide you with service as quickly as possible."

So, at least 2 more weeks (probably more). I don't understand what the hold up is, 7 weeks after moving in. Basically my entire street is already connected, set up and enjoying their ultrafast, yet we're still stuck with this rubbish! 

Anybody had a simliar response from Openreach before and can shed any light on what happens next and when? 
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

That would suit us dn, even slow internet would be better than no internet! However, i don't think that's possible unfortunately 😞 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

if new build and getting FTTP then unlikely there is an FTTC option

Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 11

No copper will have been supplied to the site from the cabinet nor the means to do so. FTTP does not go to the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

We are in the same situation and I have got the exact same email from Openreach (word by word). Please could you share what you did /what happens next? 

0 Ratings