Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

New Build property and Ethernet connections

Hi, this is my first post.
We have just moved into a brand new build, our only phone socket is in the utility room (which gets quite hot, 26 C +). Here is also a ) point Ethernet wall plate, I think I get how this works but it doesn't seem to work, is it simply you plug an Ethernet cable into the router and the other end into the wall plate then plug another Ethernet cable into the corresponding number face place and the other end into the appliance you want to connect up?
Also is there anyway of using the Ethernet points as a phone/router point?
As the cupboard gets quite hot (and there is no shelf so currently on top of washing machine) so both the phone and wifi tend to 'over heat' and play up. .
Not sure how to upload pictures but if I find a way I will.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Build property and Ethernet connections

That is indeed how it should work. Are you sure you are connecting to the right Ethernet wall plate socket? Have a look at the 'After' picture in this thread post 55 https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Can-I-use-separate-modem-with-new-BT-Smart-Hub/t... to extend your DSL line via the Ethernet cables using RJ11-RJ45 patch leads.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

My first though were 'am I connecting it correctly?' So I checked all 6 Ethernet sockets on the wall plate and none work. Also the lights on the router don't light up next to where you insert the Ethernet cable.
I also have a plugged Ethernet for a youview box and that lights up and works fine. (Hope that makes sense).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@lmamarinei wrote:
My first though were 'am I connecting it correctly?' So I checked all 6 Ethernet sockets on the wall plate and none work. Also the lights on the router don't light up next to where you insert the Ethernet cable.
What have you got connected at the other end?
I also have a plugged Ethernet for a youview box and that lights up and works fine. (Hope that makes sense).
Not sure what you mean by this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

1st
One Ethernet cable plugged into wall plate other end into router - another Ethernet cable plugged into corresponding wall plate I front room other end plugged into TV (have also tried Xbox and blue ray none work).

2nd you view box
So it uses the Internet but you use an Ethernet cable plugged into a plug (electricity) there other end in the youview box, another Ethernet cable plugged into the router over end into a plug (again electric).
This works fine and have tried all Ethernet sockets on router.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

If the youview box works OK via the Ethernet links, then it would appear the problem lies with whatever the other device is or the link that goes to the other device is faulty. I assume there are 6 sockets in the utility room that go to 6 different rooms in the house. Try the other device on the same link that the youview box works on, if it works then the problem is with the Ethernet link. If it doesn't, the problem is with the device.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Ok, posts crossed. Youview box is not using the Ethernet links. I think you need to get a tester to check the connectivity of the Ethernet links.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thought as much but wanted to check before I have an engineer in.
Thank you
0 Ratings