Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stonegiant2012
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

New Cabinet close to premises

Hi all

We currently get a speed of around 1.5 Mbps despite a Fibre Cabinet being built 200m south of my property in early 2015. We were initially given a date of June 2015 for Fibre availability but it turns out that it is has not been possible to connect this cabinet to the exchange at a cost that respresents value for money.

Yesterday engineers began construction on a new cabinet around 400m north of me. Houses in this area get speeds of around 20Mbps and are currently connected to a cabinet in the local village (approx 1 mile)

Both cabinets are on the same stretch of road and the area is fairly rural

Is it possible that this new cabinet will mean I can get improved speeds or is it likely to just increase the speeds of those currently getting 20Mbps?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: New Cabinet close to premises

@Stonegiant2012

Only Openreach would know that. Their standard response is on this page. But I am told that some infill cabinets are being installed.

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

0 Ratings
Stonegiant2012
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I have received that reponse from Openreach

Cabinet is at a crossroads (4 roads). There are 5 houses at the junction (same exhange as mine). The next houses on 2 of the 4 roads are on two different exchanges than ours. The 3rd road leads back to the village and I am the 4th house up the other road about 400m away.

Will they ever cross into a different exchange? 

Would they do an infill cabinet that only benefits 5 houses?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Those are questions that nobody on here will be able to answer.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

What's your postcode?

It's likely to be in an infil cab.

Have you spoken to the local BDUK scheme?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Stonegiant2012
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

BT30 8JP. First couple of houses on the postcode can get around 20Mbps as they are connected to the cabinet in the village. Cabinet is right beside No 83

Is an infil to bring those with less than 24 Mbps up to 24 and unlikely to serve any new premises?
0 Ratings
Stonegiant2012
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Local BDUK to be honest are contactable. Only be able to contact Openreach using their online form and the response I got was the one Keith mentioned
0 Ratings
Stonegiant2012
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Uncontactable
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Infil cabs are used for a range of solutions including, but not limited to, uplifting speeds and removing Exchange only lines.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

I assume you're connected to cabinet 5 at the moment?

Have you tried speaking to the engineers working on the cabinet?
0 Ratings