cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

New Customer HELP PLEASE!!

Hi All,

I have just had BT installed at my home and the TV service is very poor. I have a digital TV ariel and a number of digital TV's in the house that all work fine with no issues. The big issue I have is through the you view box I struggle to get the standard channels. The box cant even find BBC 1 and 2 (on channels 101 and 102) and just about finds channel 1 but both BBC stations are terrible quality. Most of the other channels are good but it seems to be the normal freeview channels that I have an issue with.

I am guessing if i cant get this resolved i can send it all back and not pay a dime within 14 days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Customer HELP PLEASE!!

The provision of a good signal is your responsibility, as its specified on the order page.

If you have a number of TVs, then you must have a distribution amplifier somewhere, to distribute the signal to all of them.

Try feeding the aerial input to the YouView box directly from one of the outlets.

If you are just using passive signal splitters, then you are going to lose a lot of signal. Most TVs are very sensitive, and often work on a very poor signal, its good for sales.

The fact that you get different signal levels on different channels, would indicate an aerial distribution issue.

As you are in a Freeview reception area, and have other working devices, then that would not be grounds for cancellation without penalty.

The YouView box has two internal tuners, and does need a good signal to give reliable operation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

As Keith says, you wouldn't be able to cancel if the issue is with the Freeview signal or reception. 

I'd suggest trying the shortest possible direct connection between the aerial and the YouView box. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont think its an easy job to alter my routing runs as they come into the upstairs spare bedroom from outisde but must be under the floor boards as there is no socket in that room. Only thing I am hanging my hat on is a signal booster from Argos 😞

I find it strange that some of the old digital tv's I have work perfectly normal around tehe house and this new box with what must be more advanced technology inside cant function with the signal i have.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

@AJ-2307 wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont think its an easy job to alter my routing runs as they come into the upstairs spare bedroom from outisde but must be under the floor boards as there is no socket in that room. Only thing I am hanging my hat on is a signal booster from Argos 😞

I find it strange that some of the old digital tv's I have work perfectly normal around tehe house and this new box with what must be more advanced technology inside cant function with the signal i have.

You might also want to try a cheap indoor aerial. 

Regarding the old digital tv's - firstly each of them, and the feeds to them, is sucking away the signal you need and therefore helping to cause your problem. What happens if you disconnect the aerial to them, any better? 

Secondly, unlike them, the YouView box needs sufficient signal to supply two tuners with adequate signal, not just one. 

Think of this way - a pair of pretty exhausted AA batteries will keep powering a remote control's periodic button presses for months to come, but they won't drive the mechanics of a remote control car or drone. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

How are you feeding all of those TVs from one aerial?

What sort of signal splitter are you using, as you cannot simply connect them all across the same co-ax cable, as that will be a mismatch, and any unterminated end will act as a stub at some frequencies, resulting in a large loss of signal on some of the muxes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Whenever you start splitting the coax feed from the aerial you lose signal strength which will seriously affect the YouView box.

Try a powered amplier at the first point of splitting , could make a significant difference.

BTW what signal strength & quality is the YouView box showing?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

Hi All,

I can see two cables running down the back of my house from the aerial and into the upstairs spare bedroom. I have a socket in the spare bedroom and in the master bedroom with one tv connected in the master bedroom. From the hole entering the house at the upstairs spare room then comes only one cable back out running down to the dining room. I have a socket in the dining room that is not being used and then a socket in the living room that is the connection to the youview box. So in total I have four connection points in the house with only one being used in the master bedroom. Two cables run from the aerial into the upstaris sockets and then one cable comes downstairs and feeds the two sockets. I do not have easy access to the cabling once it enters the house as i started pulling carpet up to check if i can see the routing but to no avial.

When you ask what is the signal quality do you mean on one particular channel or is there a way to review the general signal quality that is coming into the box?

Regards

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Trying BBC 1 & ITV1 , and their HD equivalents would be a good start.

0 Ratings