Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CH1NNV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New Customer - Still Not Connected

Hi,

I hope someone can advise what the best route for me to take is.

I have moved into a rental property, I'm friends with the owner and although it's been empty for 6 months there has previously been broadband/fibre to the property.

It is a detached one bed barn conversion, with three other conversions opposite, all the buildings have names and not numbers.

When I initially ordered the Infinity package on 25th AUG, I chose the incorrect property name from the list (as the actual property name is *not* listed on their post code search, as it has changed) so I chose what I thought was the old name.

I checked with my friend and he said that was a different property, and this building was previously known as "Acorn".

I advised BT, who said they would cancel the order which would allow me to place a new one against the correct property. They said as this all took place over the weekend, there would be no change in the stated connection date of 7th Sept.

I placed the new order on the 27th AUG, and immediately the new connection date was 12th SEP. An additional 5 days, frustrating as I had been told otherwise, but not the end of the world.

Over the next few hours I received all the generic emails, account number, order details etc. I called BT and he said he could see the order, everything looked fine, from what he could tell that would be the right property and all was fine.

A couple of days later my BT account online was showing two account numbers and two orders, one cancelled, the other more recent order returned an error when I tried to track it.

I spoke to BT, they said it was all fine, I would be connected on 12th.

Next few days, I received a smart hub, although this was shown as tracked and delivered under the cancelled order, and not the later order. It also stated, your connection date "was" due to be 12th September.

I spoke to BT, they said it was all fine, I provided all the order numbers etc., everything was A-OK.

I confirmed with a follow up call the next day (you never know when you're speaking to these agents whether they're palming you off) but they too said everything was fine. And finally, on the morning of the 12th, I kicked off with a live chat asking them to check my order...

"I assure you that you will be connected by midnight tonight".

I then opened another live chat from work at lunchtime on the day of connection, I'd received no update texts or emails since the order and still was not convinced I'd be connected, and the agent said "the order was cancelled last week, you're not being connected". I gave them both order numbers, both cancelled.

They called me and passed me over to a very helpful Scottish chap, on and off hold for 45 minutes while he was trying to figure out what was going on with all the different properties and lines.

He said that Openreach cancelled as current subscriber stated they were not moving. But Acorn is the property I live in (now renamed). He could see it wasn't my fault, and asked me if the new name was "XXXXX", I confirmed it was and he said he can see the line there - but it was previously the line on Acorn.

He stated he was assigning a case manager who would contact me within 24 hours, he would also raise a complaint as he could see that this was not my fault and I'd been assured 4-5 times everything was fine.

24 hours passed around 6.5 hours ago, no call or email.

Am I wasting my time with these complaints? I am as frustrated with the situation as you can get, with constant broken promises and I've not even been connected yet. I feel like I'm setting myself up for 12 months of pain.

If anyone can advise of an escalation point, or if they've had a similar situation and how they resolved it, it would be much appreciated.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
DavidM
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Customer - Still Not Connected

Hi @CH1NNV and welcome.

I'm really sorry you're having so many problems getting connected. Does the address match on the Royal Mail site? If so then the quicket way to get an update on what's happeneing with the order would be to contact the orders live chat team.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
CH1NNV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi David,

Thanks for your message.

Royal Mail doesn't show the correct house name, they've said to contact address department at the council for it to be corrected; but the other utilities (electric and water) had no issues confirming the correct property, even with a broken electric meter.

BT did confirm the correct property name yesterday and said they could see it their side so no reason isn't shouldn't have been listed when I put the post code in to place the order.

I'll give the orders team a try, but I am hesitant as these are the people I have spoken to multiple times and been assured everything is fine in the weeks running up to yesterday.

Thanks

Andrew
0 Ratings
CH1NNV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi Dave

I did as advised, contacted them on live chat; they said they'd put me through to the case management team.

It wasn't the case management team but he looked at the notes and said I should have been told I'd be contacted within 48 hours, not 24 hours.

He said he'd "monitor" my account to make sure the relevant person called back within 48 hours.

We're now at 54 hours, and no call back.

I'll do the same on live chat this evening, however I'm expecting I'll be advised that I should've been told my case manager would call within 72 hours...

With best regrets

Andrew
0 Ratings
CH1NNV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

So, update.

Someone on the case management team "sorted" everything.

After phone bills of £112 and £175 for mobile data usage due to working from home lately, I was due an engineer to install a new line tomorrow (despite an existing line at the property).

I now have two BT smart hubs too.

And I've called BT this evening to confirm everything for tomorrow, and been told categorically that I will not be seeing an engineer.

I've used an annual leave day, I am nearly £300 lighter due to having to tether my phone.

Ombudsman it is.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 6 of 9

Hi @CH1NNV I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing a delay in getting connected. Did they advise why the appointment will not be kept tomorrow? and have they arranged for your case manager to get in touch with you tomorrow?

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
CH1NNV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hi John

Thanks for your message.

All she said was that there was no confirmation from Openreach. She couldn't contact them as I think she said BT Wholesale close at 5pm and Openreach at 7pm. Although I'd called at 7:10pm, as the day before I was told Openreach close at 730pm. She said she is calling me back this morning as she's in at 8am.

But I've had no contact from a case manager; I've just looked back through my notes from when I called on 14th September to chase my case manager response, and the chap that sorted a new order etc. was on the connections team not a case manager at all.

I'm honestly at my wits end with this, every time I'm speaking to someone I'm having to explain the whole thing over again, promised callbacks, no contact with a case manager, it really should not be this difficult. There's a line at the property, if I knew the last number it used I'm sure everything would be a lot easier but I don't unfortunately.

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Andrew
0 Ratings
CH1NNV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Just to add, as noted in my original post; the chap that first said he'd assign a case manager also said he'd raise two complaints, or a complaint and a grievance, something along those lines.

Not only was I never contacted by a case manager, there was never any further contact with regards to the complaints he apparently raised.

May not be his fault but it's just another example of multiple promises that haven't been met.

Thanks again
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 9 of 9

Hi @CH1NNV,

I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry you haven't received your call backs as promised. If you send me in your details, I'll be able to take a look at what is happening with your order.

You can send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings