cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Exar
Contributor
Message 1 of 91

New Customer - Terrible Speeds at night (Unlimited)

Go to solution

Good morning,

I recently made the switch from Sky to BT (5th August) due to the fact that I downloaed more than 1.2gb in a day and was put into the traffic management policy and suffered from terrible peak speeds.

It made me move to BT knowing that the unlimited package doesn't throttle/shape your traffic.

So here's my issue: It appears to me that the traffic shaping has transfered over to this service, why do you ask? LEt me show you some numbers.

06:24:24, 06 Aug. - (54202.730000) DSL noise margin: 29.00 dB upstream, 8.20 dB downstream
06:24:24, 06 Aug. - (54202.660000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream

Activation Day +1 Day (7th August 2015) - Hourly Speeds.

• 12pm ~ Download - 2.41 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.36 Mbps
• 1pm ~ Download - 2.90 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.30 Mbps
• 2pm ~ Download - 4.03 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.38 Mbps
• 3pm ~ Download - 1.76 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.36 Mbps
• 4pm ~ Download - 3.05 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.35 Mbps
• 5pm ~ Download - 1.89 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.35 Mbps
• 6pm ~ Download - 1.05 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.29 Mbps
• 7pm ~ Download - 3.62 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.36 Mbps
• 8 pm ~ Download - 0.94 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.36 Mbps
• 9 pm ~ Download - 0.68 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.36 Mbps
• 10pm ~ Download - 0.35 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.35 Mbps
• 11pm ~ Download - 0.54 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.36 Mbps
• 12am ~ Download - 3.23 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.26 Mbps
• 1 am ~ Download - 3.20 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.36 Mbps
• 2 am ~ Download - 1.48Mbps ~ Upload - 0.34 Mbps
• 3 am ~ Download - 1.56 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.35 Mbps
• 4 am ~ Download - 5.13 Mbps ~ Upload - 0.29 Mbps

As you can see after 7pm my speed drops to 10% of my maximum line speed (as traffic shaping does.)

I made an attempt to contact BT using the on;line chat function and was told that it was due to DLM. I am familiar with the DLM process and my understanding of it was, the speeds gradualy increase to the point of being unstable, then you reduce the speed slighly below that point to maintain stability. This doesn't seem the case for me and my speeeds and up and down all day/night (to the point of being unusable) The BT advisor said to me that my speed would jump back up to 8mbps after 10 days also.

I was with Sky for 4 years on this line and had very little problems. I held speeds between 7-8Mbps consistently for that time, so how come when I move to BT on their own hardware I cannot achieve the same speeds? (5mb for less than 1 hr it awful)

BT says there's no problems when they do speed checks despite me using all new wires/filters provided and my cable setup is exactly the same as it was with Sky (and worked)

So what could be the cause of this? Not happy to pay for a service I'm not recieving...and regretting switching already...

Thanks in advance for any help. (speed at time of posting - 4mbps)

Chris

0 Ratings
90 REPLIES 90
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 91

Re: New Customer - Terrible Speeds at night (Unlimited)

Go to solution

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number 

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results 

btspeedtester

BT do not throttle/traffic shape your conenction anymore but it looks like it could be exchange congestion   are there any problems shown here 

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 3 of 91

Go to solution

All these speeds are from Speedtest.net

BTWholesale.png

Reapair centre link said they can't check my number. No exchange issues.

If it's congestion then why can I attain stable connections @7-8MBps with SKy on BT wholesale and 0.8mbps with BT. it simply does not make sense. When BT prioritise their own traffic over any Wholesale traffic....

BT TEST RESULTS

TEST RESULTS.png

I do however now see this: 

Fault.png

Why would BT say my line is fine to me when I contact them, now all of a sudden they're saying there's a fault....

So far my switch has been absoloutely awful and I think I'll just switch back because this is worse than being on Wholesale...and that's saying something...

0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 4 of 91

Go to solution
Also my local exchange only servers about 600 homes so congestion I don't think is an issue. I had 7-8mbps consistently for 4 years until I put myself in traffic shaping a while ago. But out of peak hours I still achieved those speeds. not now...
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 91

Go to solution

I can't see if you said you are using a wired or wireless conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 6 of 91

Go to solution
All wired - Plugged into master test socket, filtered, no phone crackling on quiet line test

Wireless devices achieve same speeds as does my partners laptop (wired and wireless.)

I am 100% certain it's not my devices, internal wiring. It's been fine for 4 years but on receipt of the new equipment form BT I changed everything to new equipment. (and tested)
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 91

Go to solution

as this is a public forum and for your security can you delete the vol ref and your phone number please

0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 8 of 91

Go to solution

unless someone wants to track my fault or pay my bill I don't see an issue 😛

I cannot remove it as it's a picture however.

Nvm I got it

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 91

Go to solution
publishing personal details is a breach of forum rules and is for your security as this is a public forum viewable world wide

congestion may not just be at the exchange but on the backhaul to the core network
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 91

Go to solution
BT retail get the same priority as all other providers also changing providers will be expensive as you will incur cancellation charges for the outstanding contract period
0 Ratings