cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 91

Re: New Customer - Terrible Speeds at night (Unlimited)

Go to solution
fibre services are separate infrastructures and have no effect on ADSL services however congestion issues are not always exchange based it can be along the backhaul to the core network also quite often smaller exchanges are often linked together before reaching the core network there was a case recently on the infinity board of congestion problems that covered multiple exchanges
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 91

Go to solution

the installation of fibre should not affect your adsl connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 33 of 91

Go to solution

That's what I assumed also. Nice to have some clarification on it.

Then I saw this and thought it can't be congestion surely as it shows full speed from the exchange?

BT Test.png

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 91

Go to solution
that is showing your connection speed from the exchange congestion affects the download speed
0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 35 of 91

Go to solution

Then... that page is completely misleading using 2 metrics and declaring one. 

Should say somthing like...

This is your MAX line speed: 8.13Mbps and is currently 'x' up and 'y' down.

It makes it look like my line is 'congested' between my hub and pc where it slows form 8 to less than 1Mbps. which is 6 feet of Adsl/Cat5e ethernet cable. Then trying to blame the speeds on the user for their internal wiring haha.

TY for insight though.

Might aswell post this while I'm here, (Tested at time of post, when I'm going to bed and it's too late to use it ofc.)

Speed.png

0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 36 of 91

Go to solution

Day time speeds improving but night time still <1Mbps

Speed.png

No contact from mods as of yet, still early though.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 91

Go to solution
that is why the wholesale speedtest Further diagnostics section is the only one accepted for speed issues and the problem is most certainly congestion as the connection speed is correct and it is the download speed that is low at peak times
0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 38 of 91

Go to solution

Still, you have to admit that it's extremely odd how for 4 years I never had these problems on the exact same line, same house BUT different supplier/router.

I could easily get 4-5Mbps during PEAK (7-8 Mbps Off peak) times with Sky now with BT it grinds to 0.5 - 1.5Mbps, in the current world with the average home user connecting with more and more devices (mobiles, consoles, pc's) that speed is simply pathetic.

I am getting 33% of the speeds I was getitng before. one third...There has been no influx of 'served premises' at my exchange (It's been about 600 for 4 years)

The only factor in this is BT and their Routing...Sorry but it's true! 

**Also worth noting that with Sky I had a consistent 20-50ms ping, which was great for gaming now I'm lucky if I get 50 durnig slow times, it's normally about 100 which is terrible for gaming.

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 91

Go to solution
Only the forum mod team can get this resolved for you
0 Ratings
Exar
Contributor
Message 40 of 91

Go to solution

I may be onto something but not sure.

I have an extension box (small single plug one not the actual BT Boxes) installed in my house (un-used), tried to use it years ago but line was dead.

On inspection (and some googling) I see that the extension is connected to the back of the faceplate (ie) the faceplate comes right off with no wires when I detach) ((This is wrong?)) On closer inspection (but not opening) I see that 2 wires are in use (white with blue and blue with white) however I see one of the wires isn't connected at all.

Could this be the reason behind that socket not working?

Maybe also the reason behind my instability?

And...What's the rules on opening the back up, to detach that cable and buying a punch tool to attach it to the faceplate correctly so I'm able to completely seperate my phone/broadband lines.

This is what the extension looks like:

TE0520305-40.jpg

The plug end being hard wired into the back of the BT Master socket (basic, not Openreach one) and is all fitted around doorframes and cable tacked into the walls (looks professionaly done except the connections aha)

Exar

0 Ratings