Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

New FTTC cabinet capacity issue

Hi,

Our new build estate has a new FTTC cabinet that went live about 3 weeks ago after waiting 18 months for it to be provisioned.

Unfortunately now when trying to order Infinity 2 i get the following message on the BT products site:

"BT Infinity is available in your area but due to a high demand there is currently no capacity left at your local cabinet. There will be a waiting period until we can activate the service."

Does this mean the cabinet needs an upgrade to cater for more connections? How long does this usually take before we can order FTTC connections again. Many of my neighbours that have orders in place have long delays on the orders, i'm guessing this is because of this capacity issue.

This is cabinet 56 on the Reading, Earley exchange. Any insight is appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New FTTC cabinet capacity issue

if the dslchecker is showing that there is a waiting list then you have to wait until a line becomes available or openreach increase cabinet capacity or if cabinet cannot be upgraded further then you need to wait until openreach instal another cabinet  unfortunately there is no set timescale for any of these scenarios to happen

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

The dslchecker shows Available but Openreach checker shows:
Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now.
This means you may not be able to order fibre today but we're working to increase capacity. Please check back for an update.

Could it be additional line cards required? How long does this take, usually?
The cabinet was privately funded so maybe they funded at x users, with more occupied in the meantime.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

it could be that the existing cabinet capacity can be upgraded but the timescale is up to openreach  maybe the people in charge of the private funding will have some idea of how and when.  they are more likely to get a reply as openreach will not talk to members of the public

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

OP, it means you're screwed. BT was obviously accepting orders for the cabinet prior to 'go live' and you missed the cut. BT have all the subscribers they can handle on the current cabinet and will not be in a hurry to increase capacity.

Sorry for the downbeat response but that is the reality of BT. It's a joke people with broadband issues are being told 'not to mention broadband' when contacting BT about a faulty broadband line \ connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@curiousfellow

The cabinets and fibre network is owned and maintained by Openreach not BT Retail and the cabinet is used by over 500 different Providers.

BT Retail has no control over cabinet capacity 

It's a joke people with broadband issues are being told 'not to mention broadband' when contacting BT about a faulty broadband line \ connection.

That advise is given as line noise and no dialtone faults  are nothing to do with broadband they are voice problems and would be placed in the wrong work stack once those voice faults are resolved then broadband will recover automatically 

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

The lack of capacity will be on the radar of Openreach. As the DSLAM has only just been made available I suspect all that is required will be at this stage is an additional card to increase the capacity.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.