Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobW77
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New Firmware SG4B1000B316 has broken my Smart Hub

Go to solution

So after getting my second Smart Hub back in March after the first one lasted less than a week before failing things have been working great for the past few months. Unfortunately BT seemingly decided it was time to ruin things and released an updated firmware (SG4B1000B316) that they don't appear to have bothered testing before they released it!

So literally from the day that firmware installed i've had:

1. WiFi now constantly drops on various devices and then reconnects.

2. No 5Ghz connections anymore even when your right next to the Hub. I can see from the Hub GUI that everything is now connecting only via 2.4Ghz.

3. If I seperate the bands and create a seperate 5Ghz network I can't connect to it from any devices. Either says its not available or password incorrect (which it isn't).

4. Using WiFi Explorer application on my Mac I can see the 5Ghz connection is constantly flipping from full signal for a short while and then no signal at all for much longer.

To say I am angry and frustrated is an understatement! 

Interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the same or similar issues since this new firmware was released?

Cheers

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Dippu
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: New Firmware SG4B1000B316 has broken my Smart Hub

Go to solution

I haven't had any of the problems you described with the new firmware. You may want to try a factory Reset by pressing the button at the back using a pin. Hold it there for 20 -30 seconds until hub displays green light.

My only disappointment with the new firmware is the BT have reduced it's specification by removing the Band Steering button (although it was not enabled anyway but the feature was coming).

Hopefully BT will communicate this to retailers (Currys etc) otherwise it is misselling the product by claiming what it has not got.

0 Ratings
RobW77
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
I've tried a couple of factory resets already but by using the factory reset option available within the GUI advanced settings (not the restart option). Is doing the factory reset this way the same thing as using the button/pin at the back?
0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Always use the pin at the back - it works, but do go for 20 secs min

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
like wise no problems with the latest firmware
0 Ratings
RobW77
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the manual factory reset tonight to see if that helps.
0 Ratings
RobW77
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

So I tried the manual factory reset and after the hub rebooted it seemed to resolve two of the problems I was having, namely the dropped connections and also being able to split the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands and connect to the seperate 5Ghz one successfully.

However I still found the seperate 5Ghz signal was constantly up and down (with much longer down times than up) and I could see the signal was fluctuating a huge amount using the WiFi application I have on the Mac. Then on Saturday evening we had a powercut on the street for around an hour and when everything came back up I've found the 5Ghz connection has now been rock solid with no drops and good signal quality! All a little strange....I did wonder if maybe the signal was conflicting somehow with my neighbours (most of which have BT hubs) and the power cut on the street reset everyones connections but I'm completely guessing....

Anyway happy its all back to normal now and touch wood it will hopefully stay that way 🙂

0 Ratings