Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

New GUI session

Go to solution

Hi,

I have had three events this morning in the log of New GUI sessions from 192.168.1.68.

This is a PC wired directly to the BT Hub.  

Whilst the PC was during this time on I certainly didnt connect to the home hub interface from this machine ( and nor could anyway else).

any ideas why the log would show the PC opening a session and how this might occur?

thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: New GUI session

Go to solution

Do you have other machines on your network that you use to log into the Home Hub's web page, and do they get rebooted regularly (e.g. turned off at night)?  Unless you've locked your devices to fixed IP adresses, the Home Hub uses DHCP to allocate IP addresses on the fly as each device connects.  Mine allocates 192.168.1.65 to the first thing to connect, 192.168.1.66 to the second, and so on.  So devices could end up with different IP addresses each day.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I only log into the home hub website from my ipad, which was 192.168.1.64 today.

i know it was the PC on 192.168.1.68 today trying to log on as its appears in on the event log between my admin logins from the ipad (showing as 64).

The PC was being used at the time, but i definitively didn't access the hubs website from it.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Having looked into this in more detail, the wired PC appears in the event log as opening a new GUI session about 4/5 minutes after time it’s switched on. This happens each time it’s turned on and I’m definitively not accessing the hub webpage then.

I’m wondering whether this might just be the network card, or some other network software, pinging the hub (and maybe showing as a GUI session) or whether there is sometime more sinister?

I have scanned the PC for viruses and run Microsoft’s threat removal tool which both found nothing.

Anyone experienced this or have any further suggestions?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I had a look at the log on my Home Hub and it seems to show the same thing.  One GUI login when I went to look at the log, and before that, one at about the time I started my PC.

I wonder if it's just the web browser updating the "favicon" in the bookmarks list when I first launched the browser.

Whatever it is, it's unlikely to be able to do anything malicious, since the Home Hub needs a password before changing any settings.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I tired it from a laptop (on wifi) yesterday evening and got the same result, a gui session opened when the laptop was turned on.

This must just be normal for windows devices, so nothing to worry about.

Thanks for you help.

0 Ratings