cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJH
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

New HH3 reaches only 10m and BT cant solve the problem - what to do?

As a new BT customer, I I changed from Orange 8Mb & Livebox G router to BT infinity & HH3 N Router 1 month ago. Since the first day, the speed was measured by BT as better but I could see no real difference. However I can no longer get signal at 10m away in bedroom even though the older Orange livebox managed it quite well. After many calls to BT including complaints I was given advice from one engineer to buy TP Link WA901 ND extender. Days, money and lots of reading manuals etc. later the extender simply cannot connect. Today, yet another BT engineer says that the HH3 will "Block" any other wifi signals and the HH3 cannot support the static IP necessary to connect WA901. He suggests that I buy yet another "Plug In" type of extender but agrees that it probably wont work as the two rooms are on different mains rings. I do not live in a mansion but 10m seems like a simple request for HH3 to reach. 

Does anyone else understand why this so called 'BETTER' package 'Infinity with HH3' is not providing even as good a service as the, old 'G Type router'?

Can anyone help? I certainly appears that BT can't. ( One Very Disappointed Customer !!)

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New HH3 reaches only 10m and BT cant solve the problem - what to do?

The TP link will work, but you need to get the settings right. The home hub 3 does support static IP addresses.

A wireless repeater will slow your connection down anyway.

Use powerline adaptors not wireless, on an Infinity connection, if you want a decent speed. They will work on different ring mains.

See Network connections

0 Ratings
SJH
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the quick reply and interest.

On Friday past (17.02.12) a BT Rep referred my problem to his supervisor who assured me that only 'Business Routers' supported the static IP addresses necessary and I quote from him directly, "I'm sorry, in your Home Hub 3, static IP addresses are NOT supported." I asked him specifically to repeat this, and both I and my friend listened to him on speaker phone repeat this message. He offered to forward it to "Openreach engineering" for priority attention but felt that this would take quite some time to address.

While trying to research and solve this problem I came across several of your postings and references but they were a little dated and I was unsure if you wee referring to HH3 or an earlier hub. I believe you when you say that the HH3 does but although we have both followed the instructions, to the letter, we have been unable to get the device to work.

I am even more worried when a BT representative is able to make such statements.

Thanks for the help again

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

They are getting confused with the Internet WAN address, which cannot be static, and your local network LAN that can be static.

They probably did not understand the question, or have never come across it.

See Static IP with Home Hub

Lots of people on this forum use static addresses for stability.

If you really want to use the wireless repeater, I can help you to get it working, there are specific settings.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

They probably meant static WAN IP, which you can't have on residential, but can on business (although the hub would support it, it's nothing to do with the hub).

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SJH
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks

It seems that I am possibly not the only one who does not understand but at least I don't mind admitting it. Thanks for the offer of help - but before that - I am going to go away and try again.

Also I am going to explore using the mains devices you recommend to see if they work.

Once more into the .....

Regards

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@SJH wrote:

Thanks

It seems that I am possibly not the only one who does not understand but at least I don't mind admitting it. Thanks for the offer of help - but before that - I am going to go away and try again.

Also I am going to explore using the mains devices you recommend to see if they work.

Once more into the .....

Regards

Please let me check the 901ND manual first, I am only familiar with the 701.

It might save you some stress.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Just done a quick check, its like the 701ND, unless you make some changes to the IP, you will get into real trouble.

See my document on the WA701ND, I doubt that the config files will work, so I would not try them.

WA701ND

Use the same IP address of 192.168.1.15

Set HH3 to WPA only, set 901 to WPA only.

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Hi SJH and Keith,

Apologies if I've missed something, but after a week in Cuba I'm still suffering from Jet Lag (no not from the Cuba Rum!)

Should we be looking at why SJH can't pick up a wireless signal at 10 metres away - our house has solid walls throughout, but we can manage about 20 metres with a reasonable signal through 3 solid walls.

Could it be interference from other wireless signal - inSSider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ is a useful tool to see if there are clearer channels than the one in use by the hub, which is not as smart as BT claim in selecting the best channel.

all the best

Michael - Olé

0 Ratings