Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

New HH5 queries

Go to solution

I'm finally about to get Infinity which has finally arrived in the village. I have a new HH5 that has just come through the door.

I have a couple of questions before I go ahead and put it in.

1. Can I change the internal IP range from 192.168.1.* to something like 192.168.137.* so I don't get network conflicts when setting up VPNs to remote sites?

2. I have an HH3 at the moment, and out the back of that I have 2 wired connections. The first goes to my Vodafone Sure Signal box and the other goes to my network switch. Both are connected to the 100mb connectors. My switch is 10/100 and not 1000 and the HH5 only appears to have gigabit connections. Am I going to need a new switch?

Looking at the forums there are plenty of issues with the HH5 and the Sure Signal. Can the Sure Signal be connected to the HH5 through the gigabit port or is my Sure Signal about to be rendered useless?

3. If I end up with problems using the HH5 can I continue to use the HH3 or will Infinity not work with the HH3?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New HH5 queries

Go to solution

@snert wrote:

I'm finally about to get Infinity which has finally arrived in the village. I have a new HH5 that has just come through the door.

I have a couple of questions before I go ahead and put it in.

1. Can I change the internal IP range from 192.168.1.* to something like 192.168.137.* so I don't get network conflicts when setting up VPNs to remote sites?

Yes

2. I have an HH3 at the moment, and out the back of that I have 2 wired connections. The first goes to my Vodafone Sure Signal box and the other goes to my network switch. Both are connected to the 100mb connectors. My switch is 10/100 and not 1000 and the HH5 only appears to have gigabit connections. Am I going to need a new switch?

No, the ports are 1000/100/10 auto negotiating

Looking at the forums there are plenty of issues with the HH5 and the Sure Signal. Can the Sure Signal be connected to the HH5 through the gigabit port or is my Sure Signal about to be rendered useless?

See above

3. If I end up with problems using the HH5 can I continue to use the HH3 or will Infinity not work with the HH3?

HH3 will only work with Infinity if you buy a separate VDSL modem.

Thanks.

snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

A superb reply, thank you very much.

Another question which I had forgotten...

Chromecasts

I have one and I've been reading that they have issues on the 5GHz signal and that I need to alter the hub to 2.4GHz. I assume that is still the case?

And finally, I would imagine it is easy to set up port forwarding on the HH5? I have a machine on my network that I ssh to from outside. My guess is that it is still simple to set up pot forwarding like it was on the HH3?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Oh and I forgot, I have 3 PoE plugs on my network connecting various devices to the outside world. I am rather hoping these will still work without issue as the ports are auto negotiating?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@snert wrote:

A superb reply, thank you very much.

Another question which I had forgotten...

Chromecasts

I have one and I've been reading that they have issues on the 5GHz signal and that I need to alter the hub to 2.4GHz. I assume that is still the case?

The hub transmits on both frequencies, the default is both frequencies have the same SSID, it is best to split them. Also turn off smart setup on the hub before you do anything else.

And finally, I would imagine it is easy to set up port forwarding on the HH5? I have a machine on my network that I ssh to from outside. My guess is that it is still simple to set up pot forwarding like it was on the HH3?

Yes, in theory, but some people seem to have problems for one reason or another.

Thanks.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@snert wrote:

Oh and I forgot, I have 3 PoE plugs on my network connecting various devices to the outside world. I am rather hoping these will still work without issue as the ports are auto negotiating?

Thanks.

Do you actually mean Power over Ethernet or do you mean Powerline adaptors? If the latter, they will work OK.

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@snert wrote:

Thanks.

Do you actually mean Power over Ethernet or do you mean Powerline adaptors? If the latter, they will work OK.

Ah yeah, not PoE, powerline adapters.

Cheers.

0 Ratings