cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

New HH5B update, version number lower than the old software.

Hi.

My HH5B has recently had a software update, but the version number has gone down and not up.  I've never had the current version before, anyone know what the story is?

10:51:42, 23 Feb.Booting firmware v0.07.06.01239-BT (Mon Jan 23 17:38:22 2017)
10:38:34, 21 Feb.Booting firmware v0.07.06.09028-BT (Fri Sep 2 19:36:58 2016)
10:21:59, 07 Feb.Booting firmware v0.07.06.09028-BT (Fri Sep 2 19:36:58 2016)

Could be as simple as a typo and the number should be .10239

Regards,

Paul.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
JohnC2
Message 2 of 12

Re: New HH5B update, version number lower than the old software.

Hi @Gitfinger Thanks for posting and it does seem odd that it is a lower version number.

We will be happy to look into this further if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

It may be a change to support IPv6 in the Hub 5 as the announcement on IPv6 from Oct-2016 stated Hub 5 support would be available from early 2017. If you check the Advanced Settings -> Broadband -> Internet -> IPv6 Status page does it show IPv6 as enabled?

And for the firmware version, if you access the Troubleshooting -> Helpdesk page does the Hub report the v0.07.06.01239-BT version there as well?

Regards

0 Ratings
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Might be the IPv6 version.  The relevant screen looks like:

IPv6 Status 

IPv6 Hub Status:                           Disabled
IPv6 Network Status:      Disabled
IPv6 will be disabled on your BT Home Hub and BT Broadband Network until supported by future services.

I don't know what it looked like in the previous version to be able to compare the two.

The iffy version number is the same on the Helpdesk screen, standard page footer and the boot log.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 5 of 12

New HH5B firmware update, or a revert?

My HH5B which hasn't had a firmware update since last October has just received one, from:

> BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.06.09028-BT | Last updated 29/10/2016

to:

> BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.06.01239-BT | Last updated 4/3/2017

Everything seems fine as usual, and I haven't detected any changes at all yet --- all the menus and settings seem to be unchanged.  Disappointingly, both "IPv6 Hub Status" and "IPv6 Network Status" continue to show as "Disabled".

But this post is a query about version numbers.  I would have expected the 5-digit revision identifier after the version prefix "v0.07.06." and before the "-BT" suffix to be monotonically increasing unless it's the head of a hash as in Git.  Are these numbers random hash heads, or are they normally numerically ascending and so this indicates that there has been a revert to a previous version?

If it's a genuinely new release, does anyone know what has been fixed or updated?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

Re: New HH5B firmware update, or a revert?

I don't know the answers, but this same version was reported previously in https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/New-HH5B-update-version-number-lower-than-the-ol....

@JohnC2 had offered to investigate, but no updates for a few days.

Regards
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 7 of 12

Oh yes, thanks @smf22, and well spotted, it's the identical situation.  And I like@Gitfinger's tentative explanation in the post you linked, namely that it's just a typo with the first two digits swapping places so it's really .10239, hehe.

This just highlights yet again though that BT should be listing its firmwares on a website just like other responsible organizations do, along with the corrssponding change logs.  Involving support staff to perform enquiries and explain such things just raises BT's costs, and it is of course we who end up paying for it.

Addendum:  I responded to @Gitfinger's post with relevant information.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 8 of 12

@Gitfinger, the same has just occurred to my HH5B, the Helpdesk screen showing an update from:

> BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.06.09028-BT | Last updated 29/10/2016

to:

> BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.06.01239-BT | Last updated 4/3/2017

I haven't noticed any change in menus, settings, nor any other information as a result of this, and in particular my IPv6 information remains exactly the same as before, and identical to yours, ie. IPv6 disabled for both hub and line.

(Everything continues to work fine here as it always has, although of course without the eagerly awaited IPv6 delegation from BT.  The link-local IPv6 interface on the HH5 remains functional, responding to ping6 as before, and the hub continues to send out ICMPv6 Neighbor Advertisement and Solicitation messages on the LAN interface as before too.)

Have you noticed anything different in the few days since you reported this?

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Just for our information, here is the complete list of firmwares that have been on my HH5B over time:

• BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.03.0814-BT | Last updated 18/08/2014

• BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.05.0A13-BT | Last updated 11/12/2015

• BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.06.09028-BT | Last updated 29/10/2016

• BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.06.01239-BT | Last updated 4/3/2017

It's been very stable in my experience, and the long interval between firmware updates suggests the same.

0 Ratings
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Hi @MorgaineD

No, I haven't noticed any differences since the update, other than that when the router came up the first time with the new version the downstream Noise Margin was up between 11 and 12 with a corresponding drop in throughput of about 5Mb/s.  The Noise Margin remained at 11+ until I did a reset a little while ago when it was set at 6+ again when the reboot finished and I got most of the Mb/s back.

I went back throught the log and saw that with the previous version the IPv6 service was being stopped during a boot, so IPv6 support appears to have been in the software for a while.  The talk about "an IPv6 update" doesn't seem to be relevant.  Not that it matters to me, v4 or 6 ain't going to make a blind bit of difference to the average punter like me.

0 Ratings