Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
talbot649
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

New Home - phone line works but no broadband

Go to solution

Hi there,

We recently moved into an older property and our BT services were transferred here yesterday.

I can see that there is an old style master socket where the line comes into the house. This then splits into two additional sockets either end of the living room, both have the Openreach ethernet socket at the top and the phone socket at the bottom.

The master socket gives no dial tone when I plug a phone into it, and the other two sockets give nothing either. I've taken the faceplates off the two sockets with ethernet ports and the test socket works on one of them, so the phone is working when plugged into the test socket.

I've got a filter plugged in to the test socket that works, but the Home Hub 4 won't detect/connect to broadband. 

If anyone can suggest anything that might work I'd be really grateful. I've got an engineer booked for 4 days time but keen to resolve before then. I can't understand why the master socket gives me nothing but the secondary socket with test socket gives me a dial tone...?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: New Home - phone line works but no broadband

Go to solution

Its possible that the one that the phone works on, has been connected to the filtered outlet of the other one, so there is no broadband signal.

The master socket where the line comes in, is where you need to test. Does it look like this?

nte.jpg

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for responding. The master socket has no test socket behind it, just two ports with wiring inside, like this:

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

That is a bit odd, unless someone had two lines installed in the past. You certainly do not want two sockets teed together, as its going to affect broadband performance.

You could trace the wiring back from that socket, and see if it actaully does go to both of the other sockets. One may go elsewhere, and may be affecting the broadband.

The one that has the dial tone is the only one that needs to be connected, but the fact that there is no dial tone on the front, would seem to indicate that the socket is faulty.

Does it look like this?

newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I know - it's really strange! I've taken a couple of photos. I've traced the phone line from overhead, down the front of the roof and in throught the wall at this socket:

Then the line heading out to left goes to the secondary socket which works, but only through the test socket. None of the sockets give me a dial tone with the faceplates on. I have the phone and HomeHub plugged into this test socket, phone works but no broadband...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

It quite possible the secondary socket is faulty, or causing a short circuit when the front section is refitted. Are there any wires connected to the front section?

Really, that double socket needs to be replaced by a new SSFP, as shown in my last picture. Then your phone and broadband connection would be connected there. All other wiring would be disconnected, apart from the incoming line.

I assume that its only normal ADSL broadband that you have ordered, as you posted on the ADSL board?

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

My BT account shows this for my broadband:

Your current plan includes:

Unlimited usage

• Unlimited usage
  • Up to 17Mb download speed
  • BT NetProtect Plus
  • Unlimited BT Wi-fi minutes
  • Online storage with BT Cloud
  • BT Parental Controls
  • BT Home Hub
  • BT Protect

I spoke to the previous owners last night and they say they had BT Vision with no problems, and used the secondary sockets with the ethernet port, is it possible they had a 'different type' of broadband that worked differently? Also, I'm not used to the phone line coming in through the roof, previous houses have had the grey inlet on the outside coming up through the ground.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Difficult to see what the issue is, unless the broadband task in the exchange has not been completed yet.

Is the phone number on your line, the number that BT said you were going to have?

You can check this by dialling 1470 17070, and listening to the announcement.

Does MyBT say your order is complete?

Broadband cannot be provisioned until there is a working phone line, so if your phone was only activated yesterday, it could be a few days before the broadband task is completed. It depends on how busy Openreach are.

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I really appreciate all the help you're giving me.

I called the number you gave and it confirmed the correct telephone number. I've also refixed the face plate to the working secondary socket and tried a few combinations:

Plugged phone only into faceplate - phone works fine

Plugged phone and home hub into filter and then into faceplate - phone line works but no broadband

Plugged in all this above and ethernet cable in top - no phone line and no broadband

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Sorry and yes MyBt says everything is done.

0 Ratings