Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 17

Re: New Home - phone line works but no broadband

Go to solution

@talbot649 wrote:

Sorry and yes MyBt says everything is done.

Can`t see there is much else that can be done at this point. It could be that the exchange task was closed without the work being done, or there is a faulty broadband port on the equipment.

Its also possible that the last people had BT Infinity, and the wiring in the cabinet has not been removed. That would stop the ADSL broadband, as it has filters in.

A visit by an Openreach Field Technician would confirm this, as they could see whether it was still routed via the fibre cabinet.

The commissioning of ADSL broadband is done from the exchange frame, so a wiring issue in the cabinet would not show up.

I would consider the cabinet wiring error as my best guess.

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

That's great thank you, I'll ring BT and run some possibilities by them.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

@talbot649 wrote:

That's great thank you, I'll ring BT and run some possibilities by them.

I would ask the moderators to take a look, but it would be a few days before they could pick it up.

I think a visit is going to be the only option, so I doubt that the broadband helpdesk could do much, as it needs to go to Openreach, so make sure that they do not cancel the visit.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @talbot649 and thanks for posting.

If you're still having problems after calling drop me over an email with the details and I'll check this for you. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile if you need it.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

So the Openreach engineer called me before coming this morning, I passed on the suggestion that a filter (or something) may have been left in the cabinet from the previous customer's fibre connection. He stopped there first, removed it, and the broadband was working by the time he knocked on the door.

Thank you for all your help, I'm pleased it's resolved but annoyed that something so simple caused the inconvenience this week!

0 Ratings
talbot649
Beginner
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for all the help on this forum, much better than BT customer services!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

@talbot649 wrote:

So the Openreach engineer called me before coming this morning, I passed on the suggestion that a filter (or something) may have been left in the cabinet from the previous customer's fibre connection. He stopped there first, removed it, and the broadband was working by the time he knocked on the door.

Thank you for all your help, I'm pleased it's resolved but annoyed that something so simple caused the inconvenience this week!

Just as I guessed Smiley Happy

I suspect this is often forgotton, unless the cabinet is full, and the port is needed for another customer.

It does however leave me wondering how many "full" cabinets are only full because old circiuts have not been ceased ?

0 Ratings