cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New House New BT Box Question

I have just moved into a new house (7 years old) and have ordered BT TV/Broadband etc. 

In the mean time i have tried hooking up a TV with built in freeview but am unable to get any signal when plugged into the aerial. 

The previous home owner had SKY and someone has mentioned that sky put a new aerial in and now that the subsription has been canceled the line is dead. In order for me to sort this apparently there will be an aerial switch in the attic (aerial is in the attic not on the roof) which needs to be flipped back to the original areial output.

Is this true?  and is this going to cause any issues when by BT box arrives and i plug it in?

Apologies if what i have just explained is utter dross 🙂

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: New House New BT Box Question

Sky doesn't come via an aerial it comes via a dish and cannot be used in anyway with Freeview/terrestrial devices.
You will need a normal TV aerial to use the TV and the YouView box.
It is highly unlikely that an attic aerial will work.
You will need to get an aerial installer out I suspect to sort this out,

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

why will an attic aerial not work? its seems the whole area was built with attic aerials.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

DTT requires a really good signal and it needs an excellent one for the twin tuners of the YouView box. Whatever you will need someone to look at your installation since as you have seen you get no FreeView channels,
You didn't try and out the sky lead into the Tv did you?

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

An attic aerial may well work (depending on house location and aerial type and strength/sight of transmitter) it is obviously just much harder to get a signal when you are going through brick at a lower level with obstacles in the way and really need a pretty good signal for a twin tuner device. I have an attic aerial and I get 80-90% signal on every channel but then I live in a rural area (Lincoln) on the top of a hill with a strong transmitter (Belmont). Obviously SKY comes through a dish so any lead coming straight from the SKY LNB will not work at all.

If there is a switch to move from the satellite feed to the aerial feed you need to just switch it over and try it but obviously the feed must come straight from the aerial to the box or you will have no chance and even with this feed you may still require an outside aerial to get a perfect (or indeed any) service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the advice so far guys, think the next step would actually be getting up into the attic and have a proper look at whats there.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

I've got an aerial in my attic and my Youview STB picks up all the freeview channels just fine.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

It sounds like your "existing" attic aerial has been disconnected in some way -- if you can safely reconect you should be able to check what freeview channels you can receive. If you can't receive all of the channels that your transmitter provides or if your signal strength is low then you should consider adjusting or replacing your aerial.

As Stuart mentioned earlier a dual tuner device like the  Youview box would require a stronger signal than a single tuner TV so you may find the reception/signal different should you have a low or marginal strenth signal when you get Youview.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Ok, so it would seem we have no aerial despite the people we bought the house from stated there was one. But that's for me to bring up with them. I guess the next step would be getting an aerial installed. Whilst I don't have an aerial, bt are delivering my kit Wednesday, will this prevent me getting my internet up and running? If we have internet we can at least use Netflix, thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

No your internet will be just fine

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings