cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrvincent
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New House - No outgoing calls?

Hi, please please could someone help......

Have moved in to a new build house today - the BT engineer came out and did his thing. We've just sat down and plugged the BT Homehub in and the broadband is working fine, incoming calls are working fine - however when attempting to make a call I am getting a womans voice teling me "Sorry, you cannot make or recieve calls on this line"

I've tried all of the tests and turning the hub off and back on again after a few mins but to no avail - I need this to work as I have a Sky engineer coming to fit my TV's tomorrow - please help! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: New House - No outgoing calls?

Hi jrvincent and welcome

I'm not sure why unless BT have not officially switched you on yet.

You could try looking at this and in particular this.

If the above doesn't help you could try sending an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com

They will need the main account holders name, BT landline number and a link to this thread.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

When you make an outgoing call are you using your normal landline or are you using the BB talk number?

Best way to find out is:

1. Is your phone plugged into the green socket at the rear of the HH or direct into the ADSL Filter?

2. Do you get a higher pitched dial tone or the normal standard one?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
jrvincent
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the replies guys....

Dave;

1. The phone is a bt Hub phone and is connected to the hub remotely. I've made sure that it has been linked in to the hub.

2. Yes, it does seem to be a higher pitched tone, is this significant?

Thanks again for the help!

0 Ratings
jrvincent
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

DS - thanks to you also - just sending an email to the mods now!Man Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

If it is a higher pitch this means that the calls are using your Broadband talk number ("internet Phone") this number will have a different phone number and as it is an internet phone you will need to dial the full number, even if calling your neighbour (ie: 01234 XXXXXX)

You may well have some call barring set on the line, you may need to check the set up by logging into your BB talk account here

https://service.btbroadbandvoice.bt.com/selfcare/consumerYourAccount

You could also de-power the home hub for a couple of minutes and then power back up, can cure a lot of faults.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

From what you say you are using the cordless Hub phone. When you dial out you will be calling using the broadband talk number and not your landline number.

Try making a call by first dialling 5 (this will force call on landline), wait for landline dial tone, enter number to call.

When you have had incoming calls have these been to your landline number?

It looks as though your Broadband Talk is not set up. You could try dialling your Broadband Talk number from say a mobile and see what you get.

The Sky box will need to be connected to your landline directly, through a filter.

Peter
0 Ratings