cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikethebike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

New Hub 5 - No wireless phones!

I've had a Hub2 for some time and was guided through the upgrade to Hub5 with Infinity for a better service by the BT sales staff.  It's now fitted and working but is NOT compatible with my wireless hub phones.  I now have no wireless phones and have had to go back to my old "plug in" phone at the socket.  Why was I not told about this by the sales staff.  I also need a "dual band dongle" to get the best from my PC.  Again, why was I not told about this by the sales staff.  Very disappointed!

Mike

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: New Hub 5 - No wireless phones!

If you still have the old home hub 2, you can use the DECT base station part, which will allow the phones to work.

See Using your old BT Hub Phones with your new home hub - Infinity  Version

Where the diagram shows "modem", that means your home hub 5 in your case.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

I guess it could be argued, why did you not ask if it was compatible with the hub phone, you knew you had the phone whereas the sales staff possibly did not. In any event that phone service is stopping in 2014 unless you wish to pay for it. If you have not already received an email about that you will sometime in the future.

You do not need a dualband dongle to get the best out of your PC. If your PC is connected by Ethernet cable you don't need a dongle at all. It is only used to connect wireless devices. 

You only need a duel band dongle if you want to use the 5GHz band on the Homehub 5. In theory the 5GHz band is faster than the 2.4Ghz "normal" band but it also has less range plus not all wireless devices can use the 5GHz band where as they can all use the 2.4Ghz band.

If your PC has a wireless network card it could already be able to use the 5GHZ band. you would need to check the specifications of your computer/ network card to find out.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Its only Broadband Talk that is stopping, the hub phones will still function, but on the landline number only.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Its only Broadband Talk that is stopping, the hub phones will still function, but on the landline number only.

Yes, I thought the OP would know that was what I was referring to but I should have clarified that.

mikethebike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I've tried the old Home hub2 as shown on the diagram with my Hub5 and it just seems to show the line as "busy" when you try to ring in.  Any incoming call goes straight to answerphone stating that the user is on the phone, so "leave a message".

Perhaps that diagram doesn't work with hub5?

mike

0 Ratings
mikethebike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I was told that the Hub5 was an upgrade on the Hub2 that I had.  You would assume that an upgraded version would do all that the existing version could do and more!

Thanks for the dongle info.  Much appreciated.

mike

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

That would tend to indicate that the home hub 2 is faulty, and presenting a short circuit on its ADSL input.

The type of hub or modem you use on Infinity does not matter, as all you are doing is extending the phone socket side of your master socket, and using the microfilter as an adapter to convert a phone type connection, to an RJ11 connection, so you can plug in  the ADSL input to the home hub.

The ADSL input on the home hub, is routed internally to the DECT base station. This was to allow phone calls, should broadband talk fail.

If you unplug the home hub 2 from the microfilter, does the line still show busy when you ring it?

0 Ratings
mikethebike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

If I unplug the Hub2 the "line busy" fault disappears.

Mike

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

@mikethebike wrote:

If I unplug the Hub2 the "line busy" fault disappears.

Mike

Then it would appear that the home hub 2 is faulty, and presenting a short circuit. Are all the phone handsets turned off, and you have nothing plugged into the phone socket at the back of the hub 2?

The HH2 can go faulty if its damaged by a line surge or lightning. Its possible that during the changeover to Infinity, if the home hub 2 was plugged in, it may have suffered a power surge from the line.

0 Ratings