cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

New Infinity 2.... awful speed

Hi there.

Got my Inifnity 2 installed with BT Homhube 5( there is no white openreach box connected to the hub, since they didn't send any) about a week ago. Approx speed was 64-80Mbit and I'm getting around 42-47Mbit down, which is Inifnity 1 speed. Also in the HUB menu it says I have DSL connection and not VDSL or FTTC or whatever....

Anyone has the same problem in Milton Keynes- Stantonbury area or should I contact BT why is my speed that terrible?

Here is some extra info. Even this 1 says I should get 64-80Mbit.

Thanks for the help and replies.

phone number ....on Exchange WOLVERTON is served by Cabinet 10

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)80642020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)79.652.92012.2--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5.5--3 to 8Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5.5Up to 13 to 8Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--3 to 7Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------

Available

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Infinity 2.... awful speed

You do not get sent an Openreach modem if you have a Homehub 5. It has an inbuilt VDSL modem.

If you are getting speeds of 47Mbps you are obviously on VDSL/ Infinity 2. Infinity 1 is capped at 40Mbps.

Your estimated speeds are between the low of Range B line 52.9Mbps and the high of Range A line 80Mbps depending on what range of line you have. Even so you are below the lowest estimate so there would appear to be a problem.

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hiya. Thanks for the reply

Here is the info from HH5.

1. Product Name: HomeHub52.

2. Serial number: +076284+14410039743.

3. Firmware version: v0.07.01.0235-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]

4. Board version: 015.

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 02:29:006.

6. Data Rate: 13191 / 444157.

7. Maximum Data Rate: 13136 / 457808.

8. Noise Margin: 6.0 / 6.29.

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 15.210.

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.011.

11. Data sent/received:60.1 MB / 403.4 MB

Well it says 44Mbit down but to be honest that was the maximum for me with a 40Mbit Sky fibre. So I'm paying more for BT and getting the same speed just as with Infinity 1.

I try to run further diagnostic, an error comes up so it cannot retrieve additional info, no matter what I do (restarting HH5 etc). Any idea?

"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."

Thank you again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Your attenuation is OK for the estimate but your speeds are too low.

Was this a self-install or did an engineer fit a new master socket?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

No engineer came. So I just connected the cable to the socket and with the HH5. I also ordered and fitted an

GENUINE BT Openreach - MK3 2014 Version - vDSL Interstitial Faceplate, and disconnected the cable from the filter since it's got a built in 1 as far as I know.

Originally they would've sent an engineer but since they saw the connection was up and running no engineer showed up on the booked day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

According to your hub stats you are showing your max data rate at 45.7Mbps and your data rate at 44.4Mbps and the noise margin is 6.2 so there does not appear to be any room for improvement.

As you are outside your estimated speed which is anywhere between the low Range B and high Range A you should contact BT and report a problem and request that and engineer investigate what the problem is. 

Beginner
Message 7 of 9

If the engineer comes and find any problem. Let's say he is going to be able to fix the issue. What could be my max speed then? 52.9Mbit or even higher?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

As I have already stated, anywhere between the low and high ranges. You can't tell until it is all connected up. If it was a perfect line with no joins or faults you would probably be able to get the top estimate. The chances of a perfect line are pretty slim though.

Beginner
Message 9 of 9

I will contact BT then to send an engineer and let's hope for the best. Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings