Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seedubs
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

New Infinity Installation

Hi,

I have recently had an Infinitiy upgrade from standard broadband, my local exchange was upgraded a short time ago.    I was offered either BT Infinity or BT Infinity 2, now I was alittle confused here, as the speed it quoted me being able to receive was 16-22MB, with Infinity being a max of 38 and Infinity 2 being max of 76, so why offer both, when I could never gain Infinity 2 speeds with a max of 22MB, is this a scam?  Why would I pay even more per month for the same service, does Infinity 2 give anything else apart from speed?

Anyhow, my Inifinity was installed and with my standard broadband I was recieving 6MB/0.44MB, now since the upgrade I am receiving..........5MB/1MB!!  Now I know I need to wait until it settles, but in a previous property there wasnt that much difference from the initial speed once it settled, so whereby I expected at least 15MB or so (I am rural) in reality, my speed as DROPPED?

Is this an issue, or will the speed jump up to 22MB or so eventually?   Do I need to raise a ticket, if this is the best I can hope to receive, I do not expect to be paying an installation fee and an increase in monthly payments for a poorer service.

Regards

Chris

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: New Infinity Installation

Hi seedubs

can you copy and paste the results from https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html (includeing exchange and cab number).  remember to delete number before posting

and also can you copy and paste the stats ( Lines 1-13 ) which can be found in Troubleshooting >> Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
seedubs
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Sorry, should have read the prereqs:

Telephone Number 01824  on Exchange LLANARMON-YN-IAL is served by Cabinet 2

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)22.415.83.72--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)18.28.530.8--Available

ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available

1. Product Name: HomeHub5

2. Serial number: +076284+1436000686

3. Firmware version: v0.07.01.0235-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]

4. Board version: 01

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 05:54:17

6. Data Rate: 1124 / 5353

7. Maximum Data Rate: 1128 / 6578

8. Noise Margin: 6.8 / 9.3

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 42.1

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

11. Data sent/received: 33.3 MB / 106.1 MB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

13. BT Wi-fi: No

Hope this gives an indication that something is wrong, as believe me I want the service to be good.

Cheers

Chris

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 16

Ouch, that's huge attenuation 😞
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 16

Thanks seedubs

As has pointed out your attenuation is rather high

roughly how far are you from Maes Ial, Llanarmon Yn Ial, Mold, CH7 4PZ? (as that is where Cab2's DSLAM cabinet is). Generally anything from 1.8Km/2Km then it may be a bit touch and go as the VDSL2 signals used in FTTC connections degrade rather quickly with distance.

Also bear in mind that your line maybe slightly longer and the line quality will also effect the speed you receive.

From your attenuation you seem to be rather far away from the cabinet which could explain the low sync speed. Your noise margin is a bit higher than normal but should hopefully setting down (may see a slight speed increase, but not much)

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
seedubs
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

I am approximately 1 - 1.5 miles from the exchange I believe. 

Surely this distance can be taken into affect when estimating the connect speed likely to be recieved, seems like they have offered me something which they cannot deliver?

What would be my next point of call.....wait for the mandatory 10 days to settle and then raise an issue?

I feel like I may have been duped into getting this and whilst it isnt a great deal more per week, I had to take out a new 18 month contract and pay an installation fee (which I could have done myself).

Thanks for you help anyway, much appreciated.

Chris

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

It's the distance to the cabinet that matters not the distance to the exchange.

See graph for distance to speed

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Ratings
seedubs
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Hi,

Yeah, sorry I believe the cabinet and exchange are one, i.e. we are a village and I live a mile or so outside the village, where I believe there is one cabinet......tbc.

Cheers

Chris

0 Ratings
seedubs
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

BT Estimated speed based on tel number as 16-22Mbps.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

the installation charge also includes work at the street cabinet to connect your line to the new fibre network which only Openreach can do