cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

New Install, Huawei DSLAM ECI Modem

Hi all, Just appreciate your thoughts on this. New install today, getting approx 75 down 18 up. The DSLAM down the road is a Huawei unit so thought they might supply a Huawei cable modem but the engineer turned up with an ECI one and told me the Huawei was unreliable. I presume there is no effort to match the modem with the DSLAM, just in my mind you would like to think that same manufacturer would be better option for compatibility/performance? Regards, Paul
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: New Install, Huawei DSLAM ECI Modem

Nothing wrong with mixing and matching. You could buy your own vdsl modem if you wanted. The huawei ones arent unreliable, he is misinformed.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

I too am on a Huawei DSLAM & OR supplied the ECI modem.

I bought a brand new Huawei of ebay for £20 & unlocked it and it's working just fine. Can't see much difference in speeds between the 2.

It's not like on ADSL where you needed to match the chipsets otherwise you lost maybe 2meg.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 15

Some people say ECI work better if the cabs are ECI, not sure If It's the same for Huawei equipment. Could test this when I get my line finally fixed.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

@G4HLF wrote:
Hi all, Just appreciate your thoughts on this. New install today, getting approx 75 down 18 up. The DSLAM down the road is a Huawei unit so thought they might supply a Huawei cable modem but the engineer turned up with an ECI one and told me the Huawei was unreliable. I presume there is no effort to match the modem with the DSLAM, just in my mind you would like to think that same manufacturer would be better option for compatibility/performance? Regards, Paul

my own experience is no change of sync speeds but matching them up seems to improve error rates.

I am on a ECI dslam and was given a HG modem, I got hold of a ECI modem and now have noticebly less packetloss on my tbb graph.  The sync speed is around the same.

In many cases in real terms there may well be no noticeable affect but in marginal cases the numbers of errors could affect DLM which in turn affects performance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 15

Just enjoy the experience of the HG612 unlocked you will not see much difference between ECI or HG612 modems

but you have the extra benefit with the HG612 to see your stats and see the wonders of FTTC and see how it works

and watch the attainable rate fall and rise over 24 hours, like the moon cycles over a month, and listen to a Jean Michelle Jarre track while doing so. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Can someone please tell me how I can determine whether my DSLAM is ECI or Huawei?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 15

Here is a picture of a ECI Cabinet

Huawei Cabinet below

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

I popped round the road to have a look and it looks like the Huawei one.

Apparantly, my stats can also show what I am on?

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

@popup wrote:

Apparantly, my stats can also show what I am on?

That's a Huawei.

This is an ECI:-

US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)

0 Ratings