cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 15

Re: New Install, Huawei DSLAM ECI Modem

IMO, you be better off ditching the HH3 for a simultaneous dual band router if you want to change any piece of the Infinity equipment.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 15

the post is about which Modem to use with which cabinet nothing to do with routers /hubs
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 13 of 15

It's rumoured matching cabinets/modems are better as the firmware talks to each other, only rumours though.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 15

I have not seen any difference between the two to be honest i have the Huawei and my neighbour has an ECI
and there is no difference in IP Profile or speed like you posted Ryan it seems like a rumour
0 Ratings
Bald_Eagle1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 15

@john46 wrote:
I have not seen any difference between the two to be honest i have the Huawei and my neighbour has an ECI
and there is no difference in IP Profile or speed like you posted Ryan it seems like a rumour

FWIW, I have monitored quite a few connections using an ECI DSLAM with an unlocked HG612 modem.

Quite often (not always) the connections were still on fast path after being connected for a few weeks.

Most of them end up having Interleaving applied at a fairly low depth after a couple of days with the HG612 connected & thus sync speeds / IP Profile reduce & ping times increase.

Once monitoring has completed & the ECI modem reconnected, IP Profile, therefore sync speeds, increase again after a week or so.

We can only assume that is beacuse Interleaving etc. has been removed again. 

The reverse MAY be true when connecting an ECI modem to a Huawei DSLAM, but as it is so hard to get any meaningful stats from an ECI modem, we just don't know for sure & I'm not aware of many people using ECI modems with Huawei DSLAMS to even get a decent volume of IP Profile data.

So maybe there is SOME truth in the suggestion that modems should be matched with DSLAMS wherever possible.

0 Ratings