cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NooNoosdad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

New Internet Explorer 11 BEWARE !

In the past couple of days I installed the New Internet Explorer Version 11 *Enhanced by BT*.

What a pile of unmentionables ! It keeps freezing up the page and even when I attempt to access Task Manager to shut down the programme, it's takes many minutes before before it opens up.

Stupidly, I though that BT's own Chat Help might be able to help as it was advertised as 'Enhanced by BT'. Tried this a few minutes ago and told that they cannot help and to contact Microsoft directly !!!!

NOT IMPRESSED !:(

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Oliver341
Expert
Message 2 of 26

Re: New Internet Explorer 11 BEWARE !

@NooNoosdad wrote:

In the past couple of days I installed the New Internet Explorer Version 11 *Enhanced by BT*.

Sounds dodgy, you should only ever download Internet Explorer directly from Microsoft.

Where did you download it from?

Oliver.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

You should only use unbranded Internet Explorer download from the Microsoft site or through Windows Updates.

I would uninstall it and run a malware check using something like Malwarbytes free version. if you uninstall it you should automatically be rolled back to what was on your machine before.

If you are using Windows 7 you can uninstall it: Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and features. When click on Installed Updates and search for Internet Explorer 11. Right-Click on IE11 and Uninstall It.

if you are using Window 8 or 8.1 you can not uninstall it. You can only turn it off.

If however the above might not work if you have a dodgy download of IE11.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 26

As you only downloaded it in the last few days a system restore might do it for you. Control Panel > System > System protection > System Restore > choose the latest date you are sure was before the download (you may have to check "Show more restore points"). Any other updates since the restore point will have to be reinstalled.

I've seen no BT-enhanced version of Internet Explorer. Others have modified versions, including Yahoo! in which case "enhanced" probably means "buggered up". As the other posters said, never download anything that's been messed about with unless you're absolutely sure about it and know what the changes are.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
NooNoosdad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Hi, it was a direct link from BT.com's Homepage 🙂
0 Ratings
NooNoosdad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Many thanks. It was originally downloaded from a link directly on the BT.com Homepage 🙂
0 Ratings
NooNoosdad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Many thanks 😉
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 26

@NooNoosdad wrote:

It's not there now (at least I can't see it amongst all the other junk). Are you sure it was a genuine BT page?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
GeorgeTalbot
Beginner
Message 9 of 26

I had this download on BT's Log in to email page for several days and decided it was sales speak. It's not there now. I checked it out because after Windows Update installed IE11 in November, BT Yahoo1 Mail capriciously logged out for a month then has refused to format text despite using W7 and WU to reinstall it. See my post under Other Broadband Queries: Re: Bold, Underline, Italics icons in emails are not working.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 10 of 26

@pottyperson wrote:

@NooNoosdad wrote:

It's not there now (at least I can't see it amongst all the other junk). Are you sure it was a genuine BT page?

Noonoosdad - ignore this advice. It's not insecure/jink ar anything else - well it is junk but it IS a genuine BT download.

I had the same problems with IE8 - BT's "enhanced version"(!!!) caused me lots of problems - I started a thread here about it - it took me months to uninstal it - https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/More-new-problems-with-quot-IE8-provided-by-BTYa...

So now I have the choice I can either use IE 8 - with the many problems (such as at times having to use refresh to move from page to page as is happening as I write) or no formatting - here: https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Bold-Underline-Italics-icons-in-emails-are-not-w...

I don't want anyone here to advise me to use Thunderbird, Firefox or anything else - if BT can't support IE, they'll lose many users - I'll go as soon as I have a few days to spare.