cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: New Internet Explorer 11 BEWARE !

GeorgeTalbot wrote:

I had this download on BT's Log in to email page for several days and decided it was sales speak. It's not there now. I checked it out because after Windows Update installed IE11 in November, BT Yahoo1 Mail capriciously logged out for a month then has refused to format text despite using W7 and WU to reinstall it. See my post under Other Broadband Queries: Re: Bold, Underline, Italics icons in emails are not working.

It's all beginning to fit now, having read your posts. You have the Windows version installed.

Rightly or wrongly, I don't touch any of the links to ads on the BT pages, having bean mislead once - no damage resulted, however!

With IE11, (I assume it's Windows 7 or perhaps Windows 8, as it doesn't work on anything lower), try not to interfere with settings. Set everything to default, and check that important add-ons are enabled.

In advanced settings, set everything to defaults. Somewhere in a Google search I once found an explanation of every item in the advanced settings, but can't trace it again. Also enhanced protection mode doesn't work for Windows 7, unless it's been changed again. None of this is relevant to fonts, but setting to defaults gives you a starting point. Even one minor change stopped BT Sport from displaying on my own PC.

The only clue may be under the "view" tab:- Check styles is set to "default".

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 26

Taffy078

I have used IE9, IE10 and IE11 with BT Mail and BT websites without problem. I would also suggest that by far the majority of BT's 6.3 million customers will probably use Internet Explorer in one version or another and by comparison there are very few complaints about it not working on this forum so I think it would be fair to say that BT do support IE

This is only my opinion and I have no evidence to back it up but I think most of your problems have stemmed from BT branded browsers and other BT software that was installed on your computer. As you may be aware none of the BT software is required on your computer and serves little if any purpose. It is often not updated and as a result it can become incompatible with newer browsers and updates from Windows. If I recall, you did have problems related to this and you removed BT software from your computer.

There is also a similar problem with older versions of Windows and older Internet Explorer versions where they become less compatible with newer versions of websites.

Again, if I recall correctly you installed non branded Firefox and/or Chrome on your computer. I can't remember if it was on your XP and Windows7 however have you tried them to see if you are getting the same problems? 

I promise I will never advise you to use an email client again.  Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

@gg30340 wrote:

Taffy078

I will though Smiley Happy

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 26

@licquorice wrote:

I have been suggesting it to him for months now. The old saying... you can take a horse to water....springs to mind. Time to give up.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 26

@licquorice wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Taffy078

Me too. I've kept an eye on the problems with BT Yahoo! Mail, admittedly without much conviction as none of the problems have affected me (except for a few brief log-in failures in the dim and distant). So while I don't have a comprehensive grasp of the issues, I've seen enough to know it's not divine intervention but because I use an email client.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 16 of 26

Ribblelancs,

As I noted elsewhere, the failure of BT Mail to format text remained despite using W7 HP to reinstall IE11. I have recently checked its defaults and add-ons and restarted it and the fault remains. I cannot find a "view" tab in Mail or IE11.

Without a tool to trace what happens when I click say I and point to the error, I don't know what to do. I have only a few extra basic programs installed.

Formatting does work with IE8 and I would not be surprised if IE9 that I used until November was OK, and maybe IE10. But formatting in BT Mail did work with IE11 initially and I am loath to regress because BT won't fix such a simple problem.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

@GeorgeTalbot wrote:

Ribblelancs,

As I noted elsewhere, the failure of BT Mail to format text remained despite using W7 HP to reinstall IE11. I have recently checked its defaults and add-ons and restarted it and the fault remains. I cannot find a "view" tab in Mail or IE11.

Without a tool to trace what happens when I click say I and point to the error, I don't know what to do. I have only a few extra basic programs installed.

Formatting does work with IE8 and I would not be surprised if IE9 that I used until November was OK, and maybe IE10. But formatting in BT Mail did work with IE11 initially and I am loath to regress because BT won't fix such a simple problem.

There's been some banter going on - all quite harmless, it appears - so I held back for a while. One of my posts was tactfully removed.

Wonder if you have disturbed something?

To obtain the "view" tab:- Goto Tools>Toolbars>Customise. You are then presented with a panel to add or remove toolbars, which is self explanatory, or I hope that it is. You will also have to right click on the top row to select which bars you want to display. There's no "view" tab to set in mail.

The top row of the IE display could then show tabs for "File, Edit, View, Favourites, Tools,  Help" for example. Second row could be Google search (or Bing, which Microsoft keeps pushing). Third row could be frequently used Favourites Tabs , for quick access.

This may at least give you a starting point, and help towards sorting the problem.

Incidentally, IE10, if it works for your situation, is just as good, although IE11 claims to be faster and more secure. 

Beginner
Message 18 of 26

Ribblelancs,

I hadn't notice the Customise option under Toolbars but find only View source which is under Page. I use this to save emails from BT's Print but the source code of most web pages is too complex for me.

About a year ago, I briefly used IE10 then stayed with IE9. In November, Microsoft Update said IE11 was designed for W7 so I let it installed it. A few sites have required Compatibility view and one form would not work and I had to use Google.

Some believe competition improves quality and this problem could be designed to weaken Microsoft's hold on browsers. If so, it's rather a storm in a tea cup!

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 19 of 26

Eh oop, nar then, si'thee, or whatever's in your vernacular, gg30340, pottyperson & licquorice. I promise  (OMG the embolden button's worked) that when I find the time to set up my new Win 8/IE11 desktop purchased six months ago  Smiley Embarassed (OMG the smiley's in the right place) I will 'drink from the water' and use an email client. Smiley Tongue

My point is that I have many friends who are having the same problems as I have, and as many others here have had, but they haven't bothered to come to this forum to moan about it - as I do. They've simply voted with their feet and left BT.

I know that many of the problems might go if I use Thunderbird etc etc but my point is simple - many customers (more than those who post here) are having problems with BTYAhoo mail and what looks like a conflict with Internet Explorer. For BT's HelpDesk to say 'not us - go to Microsoft' fails to inspire me!

I've just had a Damascus moment: is this in fact a Yahoo problem? Are new BTMail customers having all of these problems?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 26

@Taffy078 wrote:

Eh oop, nar then, si'thee, or whatever's in your vernacular, gg30340, pottyperson & licquorice. I promise  (OMG the embolden button's worked) that when I find the time to set up my new Win 8/IE11 desktop purchased six months ago  Smiley Embarassed (OMG the smiley's in the right place) I will 'drink from the water' and use an email client. Smiley Tongue

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay, result. You won't regret it. Smiley Happy
0 Ratings