Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave1995
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

New Line Slower speeds

Hello all,

I just recently had a BT engineer replace my telephone line, Lucky free of charge. This was due to water damage on the poll its self.

Before I reported the problem to BT the line was working at 65mbps, but would cut out when windy. This caused the line speed to drop to 13mbps at its lowest and then increased to 43mbps when the engineer arrived.

After the line was replaced, I was told that "the speed would increase by tomorrow." It has been 6 days now and same speed. I was using the Home Hub 5 but was getting the annoying OpenRG reboots every two days, causing me to move back to the lovely stable Home Hub 4 with Huawei modem today.

I've tried a speed test today on both BTs site and BTs wholesale site, which has found an error at BTs retail server whatever that means?

I was just thinking shouldn't have the Openreach Engineer done a DLM reset after he replaced the line? I've had this or something done similar before which improved my speed from 40mbps to 70mbps about a year ago.

speed test.PNG

Capture.PNG

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: New Line Slower speeds

As you now use a separate modem all the helpful stats are held by modem unless it is unlocked 

If it was a line fault and it was a phone engineer not broadband then that would explain it as only broadband engineer can get DLM reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dave1995
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for the reply, I've plugged the hub 5 back in and here is the stats

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ44617406
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 23/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:10:30
6. Data rate:11999 / 44047
7. Maximum data rate:16097 / 63106
8. Noise margin:6.7 / 6.8
9. Line attenuation:19.8 / 17.5
10. Signal attenuation:19.6 / 17.5
11. Data sent/received:0.1 MB / 0.2 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-J7ZX
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-J7ZX5Ghz
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:18:1e:78:0f:ae:1a
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Don't think I've ever seen such a difference in sync speeds between actual and maximum attainable rate at a noise margin of 6 dB! There's a huge amount of interleaving applied to that line!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

What makes you think interleaving is on the line without seeing any latency figures first
0 Ratings
Dave1995
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

What is interleaving? Is there anyway the I can show latency figures?

Thanks
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

The hub stats don't show latency

This explains interleaving. http://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/?supportarchive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dave1995
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Anyone got any suggestions on what I should do? Don't really want to call BT India, they were bad enough when I needed a new line.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Interleaving only affects latency and looking at the stats it is clear that the speed is capped to 44M which is one of the bands
Typically you should get a DLM reset after a line fault in this period is better to avoid retrains and changing equipment
If you have an unlocked version of the Huawei modem you can see more detailed stats and check what is going on with the link until then you will not know
Dave1995
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

I've tried hacking the modem before but the webpage times out when uploading the firmware.
BTs retail server fault says it will be fixed today by 5pm, doubt that'll improve anything though.
0 Ratings