Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flashman37
Message 1 of 8

New Master socket

Go to solution

Hello,

Its my first posting so excuse if I'm being a total numpty

How do I arrange for a new master socket to be installed.

We have had the line in for some 30 years or so, and the wires are looking a bit shabby.  Since I have recently decorated, I would like the socket moved slightly too.

Any ideas ?  I have browsed the catalogue, and spoken to someone online, but it seems as the faulty line is the only route - although its old and tatty, Im not sure its actually faulty - although I wouldnt mind confirmation of that, if that could be achieved too 🙂

Thanks

Pete

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Master socket

Go to solution

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet no hiss/crackle.  best done with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

if this is ok then openreach won't replace your master or move it for free as - not broke don't fix it - openreach moto

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
flashman37
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the tip

Tried that - all ok , which is good in one sense, but obviously cannot go down that route 😞

I think I would still like it moved / updated

Any ideas of cost ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

It is about £130. Contact your comms provider. if BT Retail then call 0800 800 150 or 0330 123 4150 from a mobile.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
SpacedMan
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Why no move it yourself?

It's only 2 or 3 wires, write down which wire goes to which terminal so you don't get mixed up.

Master socket are available from DIY stores, around £10, as is the wire and a junction box to join the 2 cables, then just tack the wires round the skirting board with the correct tacks.

I moved mine years ago with no problems, the sockets even come with the tool to fit the wires to the terminals.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Moving an openreach socket would be in breach of your terms of service, it is not advisable to move it yourself.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
@spacedMan that is very bad advise and could cost the poster there service
0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Also, DIY shop master sockets are cheap rubbish. A proper BT/Openreach master socket has the test socket so you can isolate your own internal wiring.

0 Ratings