cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
athlonoc
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

New Router & BT Infinity

Can anyone here suggest a good solid reliable router/modem combination to use with BT Fibre Infinty.

I've read many posts with speed and dropout issues. There are too many and lots of duplications.

I know that my second HH6 is no better than the first and the issues I have with daily dropouts occuring multiple times are just wireless issues as proved when I connect my laptop with RJ45 every time a dropout occurs I can connect to the internet via cable while all other wireless devices can't until wireless conenctions come back.

Someone mentioned a new HH6 with BT is not the answer as the firmware that controls the HH6 is the problem, just getting BT to send out a new router may not resolve the issue for me and all the others.

HOWEVER

There are people not having problems with their HH6!!!!!

So does this mean those of us that are having issues have something going on with intereference from other devices that cause wireless HH6 to dropout OR is it just possible that we have a dud batch of HH6's and the request of a third HH6 may well sort out the problem.

FINALLY - I hope that this post may allow people to understand what is happening - we are all quick to blame BT and in some cases maybe rightly so, ( i've had my fair share of issues ) but if we can get hold of alternative routers/modem we may then see if that resolves the problem. If it does then BT's HH6 is the problem - if it doesn't then it points to interference.

ANY SOLUTIONS WILL BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED 

Kind regards

Lee

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Router & BT Infinity

What is your budget?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

BT do not block the use of third party router/modems. In fact I've always condoned it especially for serious gamers and anyone who is not in the "One size fits all" profile that ISP's use.

Personally I've never used an ISP supplied router with it's hog tied firmware.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@athlonoc wrote:

Can anyone here suggest a good solid reliable router/modem combination to use with BT Fibre Infinty.

Any third party VDSL modem/router will be better than a Home Hub. As long as you stick to the well known brands you won't go far wrong. You really need to decide what bells and whistles are important to you and then have a look at the specs to decide.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 5 of 8

I can thoroughly recommend the Asus DSL-AC68U. It's rock solid , great wifi & loads of functionality. My son has 1 as well & he's very pleased with his.

Cost is around £150.

A cheaper option that some here use is the TP-Link TD-W9980 for around £60

Note both work with the BT internet channels - BT Sport etc.

0 Ratings
athlonoc
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I live in a 3 storey semi detached home and run Sky Q with 3 wireless mini boxes.

The router/hub I would need has to have good distance and not have the issue with sky.

I split the bands. 2.4Ghz for everything and leave 5Ghz for the sky Mesh so it doesn't impact on that. Not sure if this has any bearing but I know the sky system uses runs a hidden mesh on 5Ghz and want the sky mini's to be as solid as possible.

Not too fussed about bells and whistles but easy to use UI and no more than £150

Regards

Lee

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Both mentioned routers would suit your needs.

0 Ratings
athlonoc
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Not sure if this helps or changes things as I don't understand why this would happen.

By chance went to my sons bedroom and while we had no connection to our devices ( 1 of many today ) - the sky Q mini boxes were still able to receive a signal. Under the sky settings it showed the network was not connected ( 2.4Ghz ) but still managed to receive wireless connection. Now I know that Sky use this hidden 5Ghz mesh to connect so does this mean the HH6 is struggling with 2.4Ghz and the fault is there?

Just to add I tried connecting my phone to the HH6. It couldn't as I suspected connect to 2.4Ghz so I tried the 5 Ghz and that was ok and could connect.

Why would the HH6 only connect to 5Ghz and not 2.4Ghz

I've gone from understanding it's not the internet that isn't the problem to knowing it's just the wireless side of things to now highlighting it's not totally the wireless just the 2.4Ghz

Is this something BT might want to look at?

Has anyone else tried this with constant dropouts? Look at connecting to 5Ghz

Any thoughts

Lee

0 Ratings