Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plangham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

New Superfast North Yorks connection

Go to solution

Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I live in rural north yorkshire some 7KM from the exchange and have enjoyed standard broadband of approx 1MB for years.

The fibre cabinet was installed some weeks ago and now is showing as live and accepting orders, this cabinet is approx 50m away from the original copper cabinet which in turn is approx 750m from my property.

I have run a speed check which shows I can expect the same pathetic speed if I  changed to a fibre package with any company.

I would have expected this to have risen substantially as the exchange has in effect been brought closer to the village by fibre.

Can anyone explain this as the only answer I can get from BT is to contact retentions and sign up to an upgrade and see if it improves!

many thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: New Superfast North Yorks connection

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number first  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
plangham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

As requested

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

As you said at outset your fibre speed is no better than the copper adsl. Unfortunately fibre loses speed over distance faster than the traditional copper. You can fro this graph

original.png

Your line may well not run as you expect and it is further from the cabinet than you think. You may also have aluminium cable which affects your speed

did you check the cabinet number which was shown on checker results is the cabinet you think you are connected to.?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
You may be 750m from the cabinet however your line routing may be considerably longer you could also have aluminium along part or full length of the cable run which will reduce speed dramatically
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

What is the line above the table showing exchange & cab (obscuring your phone no.)? Is the cab no. shown there the same as the no. marked on the cab 750m away?

I don't think you are connected to the cab 750m away but I'm guessing 1 near the exchange replacing what was an EO line., altho' 7KM is pushing it a bit.

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for replying.

I'm only 450m as the crow flies but I can walk the full route  as its almost all overhead and its about 700m.

I dont know if any is aluminium but looking at your graph, assuming its all copper, I should still get a reasonable speed.

Is it possible that we are still connected to the exchange via copper and not to the fibre? do they "cut" the copper link once the fibre cabinet becomes live or do they have to reconnect each line to fibre from copper?

The "tech" person on BT live chat seemed to imply if I ordered Infinity they would reconfigure our line to achieve up to 38MB.

I would be quite happy with anything over 2MB to be quite honest

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

They generally don't change which phone cab you are already connected to & you only pick up fibre from the fibre cab built nearby that, if any, not from some fibre cab that's sprung up elsewhere nearer your home.

Give us the 2 cab nos. involved & we'll be able say something more definitive.

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution
the copper pair goes from your home to the cabinet where the line is split the existing copper which now only carries your voice service only to the exchange and your line is then cross linked to the fibre cabinet and the broadband service is inserted on to the copper pair back to your home
0 Ratings
plangham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

lastingham exchange cabinet 5 is the fibre one I think, its on one side of the road, and as far as I know there is only one copper cabinet in the village on the opposite side of the road. Its been given a new coat of paint and I cant make out a number on it.

Our village is very small (approx 100 properties spread on two parallel lanes) about 400m x 150m....tiny hamlet really

0 Ratings