cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: New TV - I'd appreciate advice regarding BT router please

Helo Tim, What makes you ask that? According to BT: "How fast will it be?
We estimate your download speed will be between 40Mbps and 55Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 8.5Mbps and 13.2Mbps.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 35Mbps."

AND

"We'll always aim to give you the download speed shown, but if your actual speed is slower you should call us on 0800 111 4567 and we'll do our best to fix it. If we can't improve it and it stays that way, you'll be able to cancel your broadband contract without having to pay early termination charges."

Lasy Speed check yesterday showed these results: Broadband speed checker 2017-12 10th.PNG

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 12 of 18

Keith - I should have added that the checklist that I found (and for which I'm still looking) was along the lines of a PC Clean Boot, checking out individual items to find the cause.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

BT's letter is actually quoting connection speeds not download speed as no ISP will guarantee download speed  the connection  and handback speeds come the connection speeds shown on dslchecker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

As your speed is less than the Infinity1 cap there is no point in having Infinity2.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 15 of 18

@imjolly wrote:

BT's letter is actually quoting connection speeds not download speed as no ISP will guarantee download speed  the connection  and handback speeds come the connection speeds shown on dslchecker

How can it be "quoting connection speeds, not download speeds"? Here's what it says in Plain English, again:

BT guaranteed Download Speeds 2017-12.PNG

"The Minimum Guaranteed Speed".

Or am I missing something obvious?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

See link about minimum guaranteed speed

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

As has already been pointed out, you are wasting your money being on Infinity 2. Even if you were to get the very best that your estimate has given, 55Mbps, it is only 3Mbps above the top limit for Infinity 1 and you would not notice the difference in the real world.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 17 of 18

thank you gg30340. I accept I'm clutching at straws but it's Christmas and we can't get our new Smart TV to connect with our BT broadband. Worse still, my wife can't use her smartphone in our lounge - that's serious!!
I'm just about to create a new thread - I'm connected to my broadband and want to test my broadband speed. Other checker are giving results but BT says we aren't connected! Thanks to everyone for their help - much appreciated. And Compliments of the Season to you all.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 18 of 18

I don't know anything about HH3 but I can tell you that IE11 does work with the creators update, Microsoft just haven't told anyone how to do it. Quite simply you need to run it with admin privileges, you will then receive a prompt asking if you want to allow this program to make changes blah blah blah, confirm this and you're away. There's a tick box in the properties of iexplore.exe to allow you to do this every time or you can right click it and select Run As Admin if you prefer a per session basis

0 Ratings