cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 18

New TV - I'd appreciate advice regarding BT router please

Good morning - long time, no pester! Courtesy of frequent failed Microsft WUs, especially Fail Fall Creators [which resulted in having to do a Clean Install) and demise of IE11 - I'm using Chrome and am struggling to find my way around it. Anyway, here goes:

We've just bought a new telly - for those of you who know these things it's a Samsung UE40M HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV - whatever that means! We had problems getting a broadband connection - we have a Home Hub3 two rooms away (two brick walls & a partition wall). We also have a BT Broadband Extender in the room where the TV. I bought this with your help - it was really aimed to boost the signal when all the family are on their mobiles!

There's some evidence (hearsay) that the Home Hub3 isn't up to providing the kind of signal that this new TV demands so I'm looking at alternatives. One solution is to slightly upgrade my BT package and get a free Home Hub4 but that might not be enough so I'm thinking of a BT Smart Hub (which I should have bought on Black Friday!!). The write-ups are good and it seems powerful. I'm not really inclined to buy the latest (name forgotten but with what reminds me of four mini satellite dishes).

What do you think, please?

PS Aaarrgghhh - just seen a new email alert from MS - Critical Security Updates on the way!

PS

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: New TV - I'd appreciate advice regarding BT router please

if you can get a new hub for free then take it but I would not buy one.  I would get a 3rd party modem/router possibly TPlink which is popular and only about £30

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 18

From previous forum answers I understood that the up-side of using a BT router is that they work best for BT broadband. The downside is that they only work with BT - changing to another provider means having to buy a new router, so I can understand why you suggest a non-BT router. But will it work with my new TV i.e. are there tests showing its performance in terms of distance?

Edited at 07:11 to add:  MY problem is that I don't even know for sure if problem with the dodgy wifi is actually caused by the TV and not the Sky box.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 4 of 18

I've just been carrying out a series of tests using BT's excellent new Tester. There are several 'suspects':

(1) In my study I have a huge top-of-the-range Windows XP desktop (which I can't use anymore, thanks to Microsoft). The two cables from my main phone line socket go into it. When I bought my first laptop, I was advised here to leave the desktop in place, buy a USB extension and use that for my Wifi gear. My laptop is in an adjoining room. I'm now inclined to think that I should get rid of the XP desktop and come back here for advice on how to set up a Wifi point for it.

(2) Next to the XP desktop is a BT Broadband Extender (again with advice here). It  has three lights: Data (light out), Ethernet (flickering) and Power (light out). Its "receiver" - a BT Mini Wifi Home Hotspot (with its own address and password of course) is in the lounge, 25 feet away from the TV. I'm always happy when the three lights on that are on, but they're not; Wireless (on), WPS Link (light out) and Power (was flickering but is now on). [There was a five minutes' gap between checking the lights so they won't be in sync.] So is the Broadband Extender interfering with the signal?

(3) Also next to the XP desktop is my BT phone - I tend to forget it's wifi, becase it's plugged into a power socket but I can use it out its cradle, of course.

I had to abort the BT Tester as I've run out of time but I will get back to it - a far better process than the old way (ringing someone outside the UK who in 50% of the calls put the phone down).

For now I will (a) move that phone (b) get a free Router v4 by upgrading my BT package and then at some stage try without the Broadband Extender. No simple answer in my view!

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 5 of 18

The free Home Hub 4 offer has disappeared. Smiley Sad so I've bitten the bullet and will only know if I did the right thing afterwards. Smiley Sad 

I've upgraded my BT package from Unlimited BT Infinity 1 to Unlimited BT Infinity 2 effective from the 12th December.

I'll let you know how I got on.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

How will that help with your wireless connection problems?

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

Not sure that using the xp PC as a wireless access point is helping the situation.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 8 of 18

I totally understand that what I've done makes no sense at all. I'd found a BT article about connection problems and what to do. In it was advice to take a dozen (?) steps to try to isolate the problem. It was that that started me off - sid's law has intervened and now I can't find the article at the moment but I'm still looking.

I also accept that moving from Home Hub 3 to a Smart Hub (I didn't mention that) seems strange, given the number of complaints here about it. But I have to do something.

It's the (BT) Broadband Extender that's still bothering me - its "receiver" - a BT Mini Wifi Home Hotspot - used to show 3 white lights for at least 95% of the time but there's only one lit now - the Power light. It stopped doing it's job when  the new TV was plugged in and the latest headache is that my wife has no internet connection when sat ten feet from it.

The Smart Hub is arriving tomorrow but my new BT package may not go live until midnight tomorrow so Wednesday will be crunch day. (Assuming that the two promised Patch Tuesday WUs don't arrive and cause mayhem, as happens with most WUs at the moment.) I'll report back

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 9 of 18

I agree, which is why I said I'll be back for help on how I set up my wifi via my laptop when I move it into the study.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

@Taffy078 wrote:

The free Home Hub 4 offer has disappeared. Smiley Sad so I've bitten the bullet and will only know if I did the right thing afterwards. Smiley Sad 

I've upgraded my BT package from Unlimited BT Infinity 1 to Unlimited BT Infinity 2 effective from the 12th December.

I'll let you know how I got on.

Why? Can you get the Infinity 2 speeds to justify the extra cost?

0 Ratings