cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Flytch
Message 1 of 6

New Wireless Router Shut Down the Phone Line

Just to clarify, I'm not the homeowner or the billpayer at the address that this post concerns. The home and phone belong to a relative who isn't particularly experienced in this sort of thing. She relative is away for the next two weeks, and I promised to try and figure out what was the problem.

A landline fault notice has been filed with BT, but I've been informed that they might not be able to make it out here until this coming Wednesday, so it would be convenient if I could troubleshoot it from my end and safe the technicians a trip.

My information on the issue is limited, having only briefly spoken with the relative about it. As I understand it, she upgraded her wireless broadband with Orange in order to attain speeds of 14MB and to have an unlimited data allowance. Upon recieving the new wireless router, she removed the previous one and correctly wired in the new one. Immediately after this, the landline and internet ceased to work. I've spent the last hour poking around and trying different phone ports in the house to no avail. The phones all say 'Check Phone Line'.

This is all extremely puzzling. I have no idea why plugging in a new router would cause the phone line to shut down. Does anyone have any insight into what might have caused this?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Wireless Router Shut Down the Phone Line

She needs to contact Orange about it, as whatever they supplied is probably short circuiting the phone line.

If someone from Openreach visits, and it turns out that its the new equipment that  is causing the fault, then she is likely to receive a bill for £130. So it would be best to prove the equipment first.

Flytch
Message 3 of 6

Hey Keith,

So is this an issue that would permanently damage the phone line, or just when in use? Even when I plug the phone directly into the wall, or use the original modem, I'm getting nothing.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Flytch
Message 4 of 6

I just went up to the 'main box' in the attic and plugged in an older phone. The line was still dead, which I guess means that whatever happened when the modem was plugged in happened outside the buildings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@Flytch wrote:

I just went up to the 'main box' in the attic and plugged in an older phone. The line was still dead, which I guess means that whatever happened when the modem was plugged in happened outside the buildings.

Did you unplug the modem when you did the test in the main box?

0 Ratings
marpate1
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

It seems unlikely that the new modem would have caused that kind of damage. Is the main box in the loft a master socket? I'd have BT install one if not, as they are quite fussy about troubleshooting DSL issues without being able to rule the internal house wiring.

0 Ratings