cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 61 of 117

Re: New Yahoo e-mail screens

Hi

I have just registered to see if someone, somewhere can help me!!!

I am not a techy, I use my email and have had an account for over 10 years now.  I have undergone a couple of changes over that time, but this recent change to layout is horrendous and I am hoping someone will be able to give me some ideas how to change back to something similar to before.

I have read a lot of the posts on fonts and layouts, so seem to have sorted some of those, but can anyone tell me.

Can I get rid of the advert at the top?   I have opted out from all other ads, but these just keep staring at me in the fact and actually making it difficult to see my messages!

Can we change the theme back?  I remember a similar 'upgrade' (and I use that term loosely), that you could keep the 'classic layout' is anything like that around?

Can we make the box with the message in larger?  I have my preview screen at the bottom and this makes my messages space shrink and therefore I have to scroll down and down to display them.  If I make the preview screen smaller, I have to then scroll down through that.  It seems there is a huge gap at the top, not including the space for the ad, that messages aren't important anymore!

Finally, If I change to another email, can I use my BT Internet.com email address, I pay a monthly charge for it of around £2!, as to change email address would be a complete nightmare for me.

Thank you and sorry if my questions are a bit odd, but I just hate the new look and find it so difficult to read, as I have a sight impairment.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 62 of 117

I am also not particularly technical minded, so will leave most of the answers to others who are.

One thing I can tell you is that if you are on Firefox you can get rid of the extremely annoying ad at the top of your emails. I quote here what Bill Cubbon wrote in one of the earliest posts in this thread:

Fortunately since I use Firefox as my main browser I have found there is an addon available called 'Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel' that completely gets rid of these very annoying ads for free.

It works & made the appearance look almost normal without that accursed ad flickering away and disturbing my concentration!

HTH,

Bayla

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 63 of 117

The best thing to stop any adverts,  allow changing fonts, select size of text etc etc is to ditch webmail (accessing your email through an Internet browser)  and use an email client such as Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird.

The only useful thing that webmail has to offer is that you can access your email on some body elses computer or device. Other than that it is nothing more than a platform for your email service provider, in this instance Yahoo/BT, to deliver adverts to you.

As most people use multiple devices such as mobile phones, tablets , laptops and PCs it is very seldom that you actualy need to use a device that you do not own to access your emails therefore the need for webmail is very small.

Your mobile phones and tablets will probably already be using an email client hence the reason you don't have adverts etc when using them. Keeping that in mind, why not use an email client and save your self the moans and groans that you are having by sticking with webmail.

It takes about 10 minutes to download and install an email client on your laptop or PC. In my opinion, after you have used it for downloading or sending your emails for the first time you will wonder why you have put up with webmail.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 64 of 117

I agree use Thunderbird.

The only thing that I find a problem with it is that I have to input my password when I send a mail, even though I'm logged in.

Is there a way around this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 65 of 117

@Johnoo wrote:

I agree use Thunderbird.

The only thing that I find a problem with it is that I have to input my password when I send a mail, even though I'm logged in.

Is there a way around this?

I have never had to do this, as Thunderbird saves the password, provided that you have ticked the option to do so.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 66 of 117

Could I have help?

Where do I find option to save password?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 67 of 117

Thunderbird should have saved your password the first time you were asked to enter it. If it has not you may need to reset it.

See these links

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_and_changing_email_passwords

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_not_remembered_-_Thunderbird

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/3232-thunderbird-changing-the-password-of-an-account

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 68 of 117

Firstly I do realise this is not the "Thunderbird" forum.

But I still can't find how to set a Password.

All the links show it should be by going to:- Tools/Option/Privacy/Password/View Saved Passwords.

But I'm using version 31.6, the latest & this listing does not exist.

So where am I going wrong?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 69 of 117

You do not set the password.

When you have set up Thunderbird to access your email it should then bring up the password box. After you have entered it for the first time, Thunderbird should remember it and automatically enter it thereafter.

If it is not doing that it could be that for some reason your Thunderbird installation is not remembering it hence the reason I posted the links for you to check to see if your password has been saved in the saved password folder and if it is not there what you should do about it.

If you look at this link it will show you where the save password tick box is.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/manual-account-configuration

and this link for further help

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 70 of 117

The path is Tools > Options > Security > Saved Passwords. Delete the BT email ones and the next time you try to connect you should be prompted for a password with the option to save it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings