cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jparnell82
Expert
Message 101 of 129

Re: New YouView box upgrade for £35?

Still no card slot but definitely worth the upgrade cost, it's so much snappier than the old box.
0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 102 of 129

Thanks...did I see a note that says that iPlayer is less of a problem also?

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 103 of 129

Why would you use the card slot for if it existed? There are no channels which use them and BT are phasing them out of their services by not accepting any more orders for BT Sport via the aerial on the old Vision+ boxes.
0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 104 of 129

Because if you don't have BT Infinity you cant see the sports channels...I was one of the first to get a YV box, and it wasn't explained that I would not be able to get ESPN (as was back then) with the YV box...I don't enjoy watching sports on my PC, but I didn't know that BT were phasing out the sports channel from broadcast as opposed to purely internet based. Guess I just have to hang on in the hope of Infinity sometime...
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 105 of 129

mikef,

See http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-announces-end-of-bt-sport-via-aerial-for-new-customers/137961/.

The old costly method of delivering pay channels over the TV aerial using a viewing card is something that BT seem to want to phase out. They stopped taking new orders on Jan 25th. A card slot was never part of the design for Youview. IPTV is the future.

However, they also say they are looking at an alternative for those not on Infinity. Probably some form of ADSL IPTV multicast (or unicast) will be implemented on the BT Youview+ boxes. So maybe you won't have to wait for Infinity after all?

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 106 of 129

Interesting news...thanks for posting that!  I'll have a look tomorrow at whether I can get this cheap upgrade or not.....

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 107 of 129

@mike200 wrote:

I'm out of contract & tried to get the box upgrade. Got some offers on broadband cost & TV pack, but was told no box upgrades until June....So will have to wait, unless anyone here can help?

What's to stop you phoning up and asking for the number for cancellations? When they ask why, tell them it's so you can give the 30 days notice to end your current BT TV contract and then in 30 days time immediately sign up for a new BT TV contract and get the new G4 box provided for £35. Maybe they will then change their stance?

(Of course after 30 days it would be nearly June anyway, but it might be worth a try to get a response now.)

What's the significance of June if you have already completed your BT TV contract minimum term?

0 Ratings
Travelstar
Contributor
Message 108 of 129

Some of you might be interested in a post I have placed elsewhere comparing the old and G4 boxes:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/New-vs-old-Youview-box-picture/td-p/1240857

Be careful for what you wish for.
0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 109 of 129

HI - quick dumb question...which number did you guys call to see if you could get the upgrade?

cheers

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 110 of 129

I'm not able to upgrade as I am only six months through my 12 month contract...I thought I might be able to buy an upgrade for being a long term customer and an early YouView adopter..never mind!

0 Ratings