Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonirauch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New Youview box but no HD terrestrial channels

Go to solution

I've just installed and set up my new BT Youview box.  I've scanned all channels twice and turned on the settings option to show channels in HD where available.  Freeview HD is definitely available in my area.

BBC1 only shows in 'normal' (i.e. not in HD).  Channel 101 (BBC1 HD) shows non HD channel, even though the front of the box shows as BBC1 HD.

I'm getting the same across all four Freeeview HD channels.

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: New Youview box but no HD terrestrial channels

Go to solution
How do you know they are not in HD? To be honest, I don't see how you can have the channel numbers but not see the HD channels, because they are fixed. What do you get if you go to channel 102 - BBC HD. This is a HD only channel, so it will be interesting to know what comes up.
0 Ratings
tonirauch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Take BBC1 News as an example ("...available on BBC1 and BBC1 HD")

The Youview box front reports BBC1 and does not switch to BBC1 HD, although the box settings are setup to "show channel in HD when available".  i.e. that feature in the setup isn't working.

BBC HD channel (102) shows BBC HD (confirmed both on the top left corner of the screen as well as the Youview box front).

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@tonirauch wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The Youview box front reports BBC1 and does not switch to BBC1 HD, although the box settings are setup to "show channel in HD when available".  i.e. that feature in the setup isn't working.

BBC HD channel (102) shows BBC HD (confirmed both on the top left corner of the screen as well as the Youview box front).

that usually happens because of the area you are in and the channels you pick up - this is the same for freesat

BBC1 on Channel 1 is set for your region

BBC1 on HD is set for UK

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but you do have a HD TV connected using the HDMI connection?

0 Ratings
tonirauch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Yes - it's a 50 inch Samsung Plasma "HD-Ready" TV, connected via the HDMI (supplied) lead.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@tonirauch wrote:

Yes - it's a 50 inch Samsung Plasma "HD-Ready" TV, connected via the HDMI (supplied) lead.

Thanks, sorry to ask such a simple question Smiley Wink

I will leave you to the experts on Youview.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@tonirauch wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect you are misunderstanding things.

The box setting you refer to is relating to IPTV. It sets the on demand players to play in HD if possible.

It doesn't affect your live TV viewing. The Youview box (and, for that matter, all other Digital Receivers available at present) does not switch to HD if, for example, you are watching BBC One on Channel 1 and the programme is also available in HD on 101.

If you want HD you MUST watch on Channels 101,102,103 or 104. Watching on channels 1,2,3 or 4 you will only ever get SD - the box will not switch to HD!

Annoying I know - one of my wishes is that Youview change the software so that users can transpose the SD & HD channel numbers. I do this on my TV so that BBCOne HD is on Channel 1.

walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@Colin_London wrote:

@tonirauch wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect you are misunderstanding things.

The box setting you refer to is relating to IPTV. It sets the on demand players to play in HD if possible.

It doesn't affect your live TV viewing. The Youview box (and, for that matter, all other Digital Receivers available at present) does not switch to HD if, for example, you are watching BBC One on Channel 1 and the programme is also available in HD on 101.

If you want HD you MUST watch on Channels 101,102,103 or 104. Watching on channels 1,2,3 or 4 you will only ever get SD - the box will not switch to HD!

Annoying I know - one of my wishes is that Youview change the software so that users can transpose the SD & HD channel numbers. I do this on my TV so that BBCOne HD is on Channel 1.

Good point, as this is what SKY does if you have SKY HD, they transpose all the SD and HD channels for your package - so like BBC One HD, is 101, ITV HD is 103, CH4 HD is 104, CH5 HD is 105, Sky One HD is 106, etc, etc

0 Ratings
tonirauch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks to all for clearing this up for me.

Happy Christmas!

0 Ratings