cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

New build house in FTTP development - getting phone & Infinity

I would like to order phone and fibre broadband at my new property, which is in Noble Park, Epsom.  This is an FTTP development - it used to be on the list of FTTP new homes on the Openreach website that now seems to have been removed.

The problem I have is that I want to order Infinity and a phone, but the address is not recognised  However, it seems that to get the address recognised, I need to place an order.

The things done so far have been as follows:

1. Try to order on the BT website, but this does not recognise the postcode at all and asks to call.  If I try the postcode of the next street in the development that has been lived in for a year, it shows the full set of Infinity options 1 to 4.

2. Try my address and the neighbouring one on the BT DSL checker.  Both only show ADSL2+ at 2.5Mbps, though my own postcode only started showing this a couple of weeks ago.

3. Contact the nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk address.  They have confirmed that the next street has FTTP, but found my postcode was pending, and so could not say anything about my address and advised checking with Royal Mail.

4. Contacted Royal Mail, knowing the postcode was registered around February, who confirmed the pending marker was removed in May.

5. Asked the developer, who stated it would have to be contacting BT, but say that BT could well be difficult to deal with.  They do know that someone on my street has a working line.

6. Contacted BT by phone to order.  The adviser was unsure about a fibre to the home order, put me hold for a bit to check with someone, and was able to pass me on to a team who deal with fibre orders.  The fibre person put me on hold while checking, then started explaining I might need to order a phone first, but then the line was cut off before she was finished (no idea why, I was on a landline).

I realise the forum replies are not generally from BT staff, but is there a nice way out of the vicious circle?

I could order the phone first, but can this still be a normal copper line with FTTP? 

If I only order the line, I will have to pay a connection fee (fortunately seems £40 and not £130), yet this would be free if broadband was also ordered.  Has anyone managed to get this as a credit against an Infinity order?

Does anyone know of the best way to order in this situation?

Thanks,

James

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 33

Re: New build house in FTTP development - getting phone & Infinity

I notice REFURB SALES OFFICE, NOBLE PARK SALES REFURB 1, OFF HORTON LANE WEST PARK ROAD, EPSOM is listed as being able to get FTTC.

Are you sure you can get FTTP?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 33

@legitimise_sailing wrote:
Are you sure you can get FTTP?

That is the big question!  I had found FTTC availability in March 2014 but only for a couple of unlived in postcodes such as that one but forgot to add to the first post.

The response from the nga.enquiries address was that the next street along in the new development (KT19 8HT) can get FTTP.  If I check Infinity availability for that postcode, options 3 and 4 for 160Mbps & 300Mbps can be chosen, which i though were not possible with FTTC.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 33

Yes, you're right FTTP is there. So you're waiting on your postcode being added to the checker?
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

I'm in the exact same position, in a new build, openreach have even installed the fibre and fibre modem in our property, but nobody at BT / Openreach seem to have any idea about it when I try to order, I just get stuck in the scripted loop of having to order a copper line first, which would be impossible as our estate is FTTP only! its been going on for 2 months now, and were still no further! its currently with the mods on here so hopefully they will be able to get somewhere!

I was tempted to try and just order a copper line and see what happens, but its not worth the hassle of having a day off work and having to pay connection fee upfront, only for an engineer to turn up to tell me it cant be done.

I do have a phone number for the FTTP team if you haven't spoke to them already?

Its a nightmare!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 33

FTTP sales team - 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 33

Hi James_H,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  Sorry about the problems you are having.  I can help get to the bottom of this.

Can you please drop me an email and include your address details, contact number and link to this thread.  You will find my contact link under the 'About me' section on my profile.  Just click on my username (SeanD)

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 33

Thanks for the replies.  I have filled in the form linked to by Sean's post.

There is a traditional copper cabinet near the site entrance and so it seems possible that copper was being installed until the fibre went live, perhaps still is, and so hopefully I would not be in the same boat as One-Sheet, which sounds an awkward situation.

There is no fibre equipment pre-installed to the house, only the traditional cable coiled up near the front door.  One of the marketing points of the house was the presence of phone points in the bedrooms, which makes it very much dial-up ready, all set for the 1990s!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 33

Pity they didn't install Ethernet with the phone points.
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 33

Hi James,

Did you get your install sorted? Were you lucky enough to get fibre, or copper.... we also live on Noble Park, and whilst we have been lucky enough to get connected, we're now getting a little fed up with 2.5Mb Internet.  I've noticed a couple of postcodes on the estate now have FTTP... KT19 8HT & KT19 8GS, the latter is only a few hundred metres from our house.  However, when I ring up BT, they still can only offer 2.5Mb, and no option of FTTP 😞

As per the norm, struggling to get any info out of BT, and openreach are next to useless...

Appreciate any advise if you were successful..

Thanks in advance,

Darren

0 Ratings