Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinB12345
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

New build - neighbours have access to fibre whereas I don't

Hi all, 

Moving to a new build later this week - the property can only get standard BT broadband (5mbps) according to the BT website. However, my immediate neighbours can access fibre speeds according to the BT website. 

I spoke with BT yesterday and they have told me to sign up to standard broadband and they may be able to upgrade me to Infinity once they have checked the line etc.

Both my neighbours and myself share the same cabinet according to the Openreach site...I don't fancy spending £50 set up fee for 5mbps and then possible be upgraded to Infinity, whereas if Infinity was available upfront then I could potentially benefit from a free-of-charge setup fee!

Could this be a database issue - has anyone else had a similar experience?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
MartinB12345
Beginner
Message 2 of 15

Re: New build - neighbours have access to fibre whereas I don't

Here's the DSL checker results:

2017-10-30 13_47_15-BT Broadband.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Welcome to this user forum.

Until you got a working BT Retail landline, the database will not be correct.

I would advise that you first order a phone line. Once that is fully working, you can then look up the broadband options available on that number.

You can then place an order for BT Infinity which should take about 10 days or less.

0 Ratings
salander
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

I have the same issue with my new build. I am currently unsure on how to proceed.

0 Ratings
salander
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Is this correct? It seems strange that I would have to order with BT retail in the first instance. Or once the line is active, would I be able to look at other ISPs for broadband?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

Only if they don't insist you take landline with them (there aren't many) or you break your landline contract with BTr.

That can't be the right advice. It implies BTr have a special priority over other providers, which it must not have according to OFCOM rules. You should equally be able to order a BTw WLR landline from any landline provider.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

If you want BT Infinity, then you must have a BT Retail Line.

If you want a fibre product from another provider, then they are going to insist that you have the landline with them

They all use the same Openreach cabinet, so the choice is yours. This forum can only give advice on BT products and services.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

@Keith_Beddoe: BT Infinity is just BT's trade name for Fibre BB. The same base product, actually sourced by OpenReach, can be obtained from most other ISPs.

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

If you want a fibre product from another provider, then they are going to insist that you have the landline with them

Not Plusnet to name only 1; other fibre providers w/out landline are available.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Whatever you decide you are going to need a landline. Plusnet do broadband only but you must have a landline from a provider first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

@imjolly wrote:

you must have a landline from a provider first

There are other CPs who can provide a BTw WLR landline.