cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bollard
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New build unable to order ADSL / FTTC / FoD & no one has any answers...

Go to solution

Hey,

I moved into a flat in a new build development in July. Since this I have tried (and tried) without success to get some internet. I've tried every avenue I could think of, until I remembered this forum. So here goes the story. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dslchecker.bt.com show ADSL and FTTP on Demand as avaliable (post code: SE11 4BW, building number 2). Cabinet number is 10, on Vauxhall exchange.

Openreach's website states:

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options

Another post code (SE11 4BE), not even 20m down the road, has FTTC enabled with no issues.

I assumed FTTC would become avaliable as Openreach's systems just updated (its a new build after all). Feeling a little curious, I called BT fibre sales to enquire about FTTP On Demand. I was told that despite what the website said, this was unable to be ordered. I enquired about FTTC and was told I was also able to order that, with no reason given.

Others in the building have gone for the ADSL (I want to hold out for fibre). Two separate flats have had rolling weekly cancellations from Sky, who say Openreach are blocking the order - without any further information.

I have spoken to the site developer who confirm all the lines are inplace (I assume copper). Apparently an Openreach enginner visited (approx 2 weeks ago) to confirm all was well with our Distribution Point box. I'm assured it is, becuase the sales office for the flats has working phones and internet.

I have contacted BT (ADSL & Fibre), Openreach (through their contact form, cheekily going through to the new build area for developers & even guessing the email address of a contact Sky quoted as being the reason behind the cancellations) & have no definitive answer. One person suggested the cabinet may simply be full, but was unable to confirm this.

I have been checking roadworks.org and BT have been in the area a couple of times (drilling and laying ducting, apparently), to no avail. I even managed to speak to an Openreach engineer working on Cab 10 who was able to confirm it was fully fibre enabled and gave no indication as to why I may be unable to order FTTC (ie its full!)

I'm just not sure where to go and am sick of being passed back and forth between people who really don't want to talk to you. Does anyone have any ideas? Why can't we have FTTC and why, more fundamentally, can't we even have ADSL?

Really appreciate any help. Thanks 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New build unable to order ADSL / FTTC / FoD & no one has any answers...

Go to solution
I suspect your line is too long from the cabinet to get FTTC. FTTP on demand is aimed at businesses, costs thousands to install and many hundreds per month, all on a 3 year contract.

The other option is that your line isn't too long, but the Openreach data says your line is longer than it is
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Bollard
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the response.

If my line is too long (for FTTC) how can I go about confirming that?

And anyway, it isn't too long for standard ADSL (since the sales office below has internet). So what could be stopping me ordering ADSL?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Can you run this check for your number http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up a screenshot of the results
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hello Bollard

My best surmise would be that Openreach have identified an issue with regard to fibre installation. This needn't necessariliy be that your line is too long (the website statement is a generic 'catch-all'...).It's likely that 'we're working on it' means 'can we find a cost-effective way for us to install' - the fact that FTTPoD is available demonstrates that a fibre based service to your property is  possible, but  only if you will pick up the (considerable ) tab...

Each installation is different - however, unless you are within 250m (routed, not straight-line) of your nearest aggregation node (if possible, try to establish if it is near your DSLAM - that there are other cabinets close by is a good sign for a localised node) then you're probably looking at an installation cost of at least £2,500.

Have you checked that the sales office's service is landline based - they could be using a mobile / wireless service? Your developer may have wired up the building, but there is clearly a network issue.Perhaps (just a suggestion) your developer hasn't 'done the wiring' in a way which Openreach are content with - so much easier to blame Openreach than have to admit....

From my own experience, your greatest challenge with FTTPoD will be to get BT / Openreach interested - for myself, the struggle continues...

0 Ratings
Bollard
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Webby, DSLAMdunkin, thank you for your responses

Over the weekend dslchecker.bt.com was miracolously updated and now we have been able to order FTTC. Hooray!

Despite being in email contact with three separate people at Openreach, no one has gotten back to me to confirm what has happened, and certainly no one gave me any indication my cabinet / installation was even being looked at. So I'm really happy that I now have fibre on the way (fingers crossed) but a little frustrated as I suspect my berating actually did nothing, and something was actually being worked on all along - though I doubt I will ever be able to find out either way. I very much get the impression that its a case of it doesn't work until it does, and there is little that can be done from the consumer side to influence that transition.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Sometimes it just takes a little while for all the checkers to align, especially with new builds.

Glad you're sorted.
0 Ratings