cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

New circuit

How can I request a new circuit through a different cabinet? There are two cabinets in my village. One is a nice snazzy modern one and the other is some archaic fossil that should have been decommissioned sometime around the 1940's. Guess which one I'm stuck with? Voice quality on my line is poor. Calls often sound hollow or crackly. I've reported problems on this line since I was connected at the end of December 2012 and it's still pretty rubbish. I can't connect the Sky box to the broadband as it kills the connection. Broadband speed is laughable and last weekend it dipped so low it was only just better than my old dialup that I got rid of 12 YEARS AGO!

What's more annoying is that houses that are that close to mine that I could hit them with a counter while playing tiddlywinks have crystal clear lines and broadband speeds in the region on 30Mbps plus. Did I draw the really short straw?

Seriously I'm paying for a service and I'm barely getting anything for my money.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: New circuit

You cannot.

The distribution point (DP) that feeds your premises is physically cabled back the old one you describe. Are you sure that is the one you are on? Just because it looks old from the outside does not mean the cables are old and kna c ere d

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

The quality of your line will have absolutely zero to do with the PCP shell, over 50% of PCP's in existance are still the cast iron ones. To be honest they are better because the car wraps around the shell, not the shell around the car.

If your getting a noisey line such as crackling you will more than likely have either a Rectified Loop or Battery Contact Fault on your line.

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

I know for a fact I'm on an old fossil of a cabinet. It's called Cab 20 and it really is from the dark ages. Openreach have told me and so have BT. Sadly noone gives enough of a **bleep** to do anything about it as I'm only a paying customer.

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

And the stupid bleep was only:

d

a

m

n

What is the world coming to with censoring that?

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Circuit connections

I've been having huge problems with my phone and broadband since it was connected over a month ago after I moved into my new house.

I have one question. Regardless of cost as this is just a theoretical question, is it possible for my house to have it's connection moved from one road side cabinet to another?

So far 2 out of 2 Openreach engineers seem to think it is. I have a 3rd one coming out to my house next week to try to resolve the ever increasing problems I'm having with my phone and broadband.

If it isn't possible, then why not? If it is possible what is actually involved?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Re: Circuit connections

Your question has already been answered by Devon_Dave. It cannot be moved, unless you want to pay a thousands of  pounds to dig up the road, and have Openreach run you a personal cable to that cabinet, which they would be very unlikely to do.

In the end, it would make verry little difference, as many slow broadband problems are caused by wiring in peoples` house, especially when you say you have a Sky box, they are known to cause broadband problems.

If you would like assistance to improve your broadband speed, then just ask on the forum.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

If you do want help, then please create a thread entitled "Can my speed be improved?" on the ADSL speed and connections board here

BB Speed/Connection Issues

and someone will be along to help you.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

Despite what people are saying here it is possible to be connected to a different cab. You can request this, it is a paid for option and costs alot, more if major work is required. Saying that though, if you are fed overhead from a pole and another pole is close to your property, you can be routed via that pole and dp instead. If that goes to the other pcp then happy days, otherwise its pointless.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

The bit that makes me think its a wiring issue is this.

Quote.

"I can't connect the Sky box to the broadband as it kills the connection"

0 Ratings