cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

New connection: flashing red

I've been with BT before in two other properties and never had a problem but now that I do have a problem, I'm finding they're not so good at helping.

My phone and broadband was activated 15th Aug and I had an appointment on that day for an engineer to come to install it.

Two days prior to this appointment BT text me to say they wouldn't be sending an engineer as I would not require one.

I set up the box myself fine but it showed orange constant light with a flashing red symbol in the silver bar.

It was the first day so I figured I had to wait 24 hours. So I waited, and to this moment it's still the same.

I have tried all of the troubleshooting and it's now plugged into the test socket.

I have called BT who say the line is all fine on their end. When ringing my phone number I get a calling tone so I think that works fine. Their advice to me is to wait another 24 hours because it might 'come through' in that time.

They have booked an engineer to come visit as I will need one after all but have threatened to charge £129 if the problem is at my end. I do not think this is fair when I already had an engineer appointment that BT cancelled. I'm pretty sure it's not the way I've set it up but I do not want to and cannot afford to be charged for this visit.

Should I just leave it? Will waiting any longer really make a difference to the connection?

I'm going on holiday tomorrow until Friday, so will not be able to get anything fixed in the mean time.

Thanks for any advice!

(HH4, adsl connection, yes I'm using the filter, yes I've tried all of the restarting tricks, yes I've tried using different filters, I've tried all the sockets in my flat, I've got a callback arranged for this evening)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New connection: flashing red

are you still in test socket?  if so and CS say your line activated then you need help.  the mods will post a contact us link  

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Hi Xsimmii,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.  If you need any help with this please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Just an update on the situation.

I still have orange light with flashing red icon in the silver bar.

The callback for 4pm-5pm did not happen. I did not receive a call.

I have contacted the moderator by filling out a form.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them
They will contact you personally by email or phone

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

UPDATE:

Broadband still does not work.  The call back I was offered from the help team just didn't happen.

The engineer I had an appointment for Friday was cancelled WITHOUT letting me know.  I just thought "I'd better check they're still coming." When I rang in to check, the appointment was cancelled but there was no reason given as to why.  I couldn't get through to the broadband helpline to find out why as I was kept on hold for 20 mins.

...On the plus side, the help I have recieved from the community forum help team has been much better.  They have tested my line and say that there is a fault.  They've assured me that I will not be charged for the engineer visit and have gone ahead and booked me said appointment for the earliest time possible despite the fact that I've been terrible for answering my phone.

Thanks for the help so far moderators!

0 Ratings