cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonsmile
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

New connection - only 33% of promised speed

So we signed up to infinity 2 and the checker says we should get min of 66meg and upto 80+meg.

Infinity installed and we were getting 30meg down and 16 up - but BT managed to kill my phone line - so called them - and they had me unplug router etc but not fix phone line

Now I get this speed.

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown] 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:59:23 6. Data Rate: 10565 / 22999 7. Maximum Data Rate: 10242 / 22977 8. Noise Margin: 5.6 / 5.8 9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 21.9 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

Any idea why is is so slow compared to promises?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: New connection - only 33% of promised speed

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
jonsmile
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 66.1 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 57.1 20 17.9 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Could be a wiring issue in your house.

Connect things up as shown below, and see if the connection speed on the HH5 increases.

Is your phone working when things are connected up as shown?

infinity_test.jpg

Also make sure any extension that you have, are connected to the correct place as shown below.

infinity_wiring2.jpg

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Please use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
jonsmile
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Hi

Helpdesk details..

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: xxxx 3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown] 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 13:47:28 6. Data Rate: 10565 / 22999 7. Maximum Data Rate: 11734 / 26340 8. Noise Margin: 6.7 / 7.0 9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 21.9 10. Signal Attenuation:

0.0 / 0.0

Test details.. fails (did not last night when the speed was 33/16)..

null

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Do you have a dial tone from the test socket?  If not then that may well explain the low broadband speed as phone need both wires connected but broadband can work with one - but slowly

if no dial tone then phone 151 and report a phone fault 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jonsmile
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I did have a dial tone from test socket and main line but when infinity 2 was installed, the phone line stopped working - so no dial tone and no possibility of calling 151 (also incoming calls do not ring on the phone). have logged this as a fault but bt say there is no fault on the line and it must be my issue - how can it be when I had a working phone before infinity 2 was installed? anyway engineer booked for tue and I have already said I will not pay the £129!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Is there no dial tone if you connect to the test socket now?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jonsmile
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Correct - now (post infinity) there is no dial tone 

0 Ratings