cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bluwind360
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

New connection - red broadband light

Hi all, I am having trouble setting up my router with infinity.

I have just moved to a new property that has fttp, I have a home hub 5 and as instructed I connected this to port 1 of my new white broadband box thingy. After booting it up all I get is a steady orange light and a bright steady red broadband light. I contacted by help team via the chat app and after running through 30 minutes of reboot this, put a pin in that and reset etc etc; they decided that my router must be broken and said they would send another. As luck would have it I had an old 3.0 hub laying round so plugged that in instead and got the exact same results. Bright red broadband light and no connection.
Also when I try to run a check on my connection I get the error message "no broadband account linked to this by account"

Has anyone come across this before because I really don't think my router is at fault here. I think it's something bts end
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: New connection - red broadband light

sounds like you are waiting for Openreach to activate the connection try calling the dedicated FTTP line on (0800 587 4787)
0 Ratings
Bluwind360
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I'll give that a go tomorrow morning john46 thank you, does it make a difference that my phone line through the fibre is working fine or is it two different things they need to activate
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

the fibre help line may not be available Sunday but certainly is Monday to Friday sounds like broadband activation has not been done
0 Ratings
Bluwind360
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Re: Where's the support number for BT Infinity on the BT Website?

Hi all, I rang them back today on the number above. A rep called Robbie ran some tests on my line and booked in an engineer to visit tomorrow morning. So that's a result
0 Ratings
Bluwind360
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

A comedy of errors - timeline

• 5 days before moving home - I call BT giving them my new address andmoving date 03rd March. Bt tell me everything is all set up and all i need to do is take my hub5 to the new property and plug it into the openreach box.
  • Moving Day 3rd March - I arrive at the new property,plug in my router and get an orange power light with a red broadband light. "Not a problem" i say to myself, the gent on the phone said upto midnight and im busy anyway
  • 4th of March - I wake up to find still have an orange light with a red broadband light; so I call BT, it takes 26 minutes to reach someone who tells me I need a landline phone to activate my broadband. I take the bus to town, pick up a new phone, travel home again, plug it in and dial the prescribed number "your phone line is now active" plays the message. I go check my router, still orange power light and red broadbandlight its late now an i guess itmay take a few minutes so i leave it and go to bed
  • 5th March - I wakeup to find an orange power light and red broadband light so I jump onto the online chat to be told that my router is faulty and they will send me another but it will take 3 days.
  • 6th March - whilst unpacking i find an old HUB 3 in a box and plug it in.. resulting in a solid red broadband light - the same fault as my other router?, so i give BT a call. The Gent says "I have tested your line and there is defintly a fault on there, i will book you an enginnerfor tomorrow between 8:00 and 13:00"
  • 7th March 14:00 - No engineer visited so I call BT after 45 minutes of being transfered I finally get told that an engineer did visit the street but managed to clear the fault without comming inside so didnt knock on the door "but everything should be fine now" I reboot the modem and the openreach box as instructed, hub powers up as orange power light, red broadband light..
    7th March 16:00 - I call BT after an hour of being on hold I get told that the Fibre to property team have the 7th of march as my moving day and my services will be on by midnight - i also receive a confirmation text whilst on the phone saying the same thing so i thank the lady and disconnect.
  • 8th March 06:00 - I am now sat here typing this with a home hub 5 sat behind me with an orange power light and a red broadbandlight.

I am totally at a loss as to how a company can get it all so wrong.

when trying to check my broadband online i get this screen:

btfecked.png

Rob

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Re: A comedy of errors - timeline

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Bluwind360
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Yeah, thanks for that Keith. To be honest I'm about done with by now. Having to book another holiday for another engineer visit tomorrow. Another one that probably won't turn up.
Looking very much like I'll be taking advantage of the Virgin media box sitting next to my open reach one.
0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 9 of 12

Hi @Bluwind360

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting back!

I'm really sorry for the delay connecting the broadband at your new house and I do appreciate the time that you have taken to contact us about this.

From what you've said it does sound like the broadband side of things hasn't activated.  You can send us over your details and we'll double check that and put everything right for you.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

What lights are on the Openreach ONT?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings