cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesli
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New connection testing

I have submitted an order for broadband at an address I'm yet to move into. The new address has been renovated in which the phone points were removed, however prior to my move the phone lines will be reinstated by an electrician. During my order creation I was advised to have an engineer visit but there's a 3 week wait. My problem: I don't want to wait 3 weeks if an engineer isn't required, I can't test the broadband equipment because it's not sent until the engineer visit minus 1 day, if I assume the line is active in order to receive the equipment much earlier but find out it's not active then I'd have to wait three weeks from that point for an engineer and finally I have asked for the equipment to be sent early but apparently that's not possible.... any helpful advice?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New connection testing

1. Get somebody who knows what they are doing rather than an electrician to fit the sockets.

2. Buy your own third party router rather tha wait for HH.

0 Ratings
jamesli
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the response.. the fella installing the point will be qualified and I have just bought a BT hub second hand, I actually thought the BT network would be locked to certain MAC addresses but perhaps not.  

If the line is active and doesn't require BT intevention do you know if it's easy to call and ask for the broadband to be activated earlier than planned?  I've found it impossible to have a simple conversation with the BT 'help' desk.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@jamesli wrote:

Thanks for the response.. the fella installing the point will be qualified and I have just bought a BT hub second hand, I actually thought the BT network would be locked to certain MAC addresses but perhaps not.  No, you can use any router.

If the line is active and doesn't require BT intevention do you know if it's easy to call and ask for the broadband to be activated earlier than planned?  I've found it impossible to have a simple conversation with the BT 'help' desk. I can't help with that I'm afraid, you will just have to keep doing battle with the order people.  Why did they suggest you needed an engineer visit in the first place?

0 Ratings
jamesli
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

thanks for your continued interest in that.. the most recent BT helpdesk chat claimed that an engineer must always visit site even if it's just the exchange which sounds odd to me given that they do provide the option to not have an engineer attend site during the order capture process.  I wanted to know if I could call BT and ask the to activate the broadband early so I could test the line but I was told that's not possible because, as above, an engineer must always visit regardless... appears the only way is to just wait for the engineer who will likely arrive and take 1 mintue to activate and then leave; lacks common sense to me.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I don't understand that, broadband is self-install these days, no engineer visit to the premises required.

0 Ratings
jamesli
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

excatly what I thought.. makes me think i'm being given duff advice which is over complicating what should be a simple issue... hey ho!

0 Ratings