cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sare22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New customer Cancelling contract nightmare. What a joke!

Does anyone know my legal rights to cancel my contract within the first day or two? We have just signed up for the all in one package including unlimited tv, phone free calls and broadband. We received the BT vision box yesterday and have set it all up and we can only get 12 channels, we cant even get bbc1,2 itv, channel4 or5 etc etc. We've tried boosters on the aerial etc but still its absolute **bleep**. My wife has spent hours on the phone today trying to speak to someone from BT about this as we just want to cancel the whole contract. I was told when i took the contract out that i would have 14 days to see if it was any good and could return the hub/tv if it wasnt satisfactory. The person on the phone is now saying that we cannot cancel the contract. What is going on here? Ive told the wife to go to citizens advice tomorrow to see where we legally stand.

hope someone can help before this gets messy. Im sick of the customer service and dont want to be tied to this for the next however long

thanks sare22

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
sare22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: New customer Cancelling contract nightmare. What a joke!

BT also agreed on the phone that they would foot the bill for an aerial technician to come out and sort the problem out and will replace anything needed to get it up and working. We have now spoken to the technician personally and all they have agreed to pay is half hour labour and no parts whatsoever. How can a company as big as BT get away with telling so many lies?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

HI BT are not responsible for the number of TV channels you can receive that is down to Freeview who provide the TV service BT only provide the box and on demand service you can check your what channels you can receive by using on of the freeview checkers that are available on the internet
sare22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

To be fair, im not blaming BT for what channels i receive. Ive just decided the mix of bad customer service and attitude and the lack of channels, its not for me. I was told when i took the contract out that i could try it and if it wasnt for me i could cancel, otherwise i probably would never have bothered trying it in the 1st place. Apparently not! 😞
I WILL fight this till the end
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 10

Hi Sare22,

I am sorry that you feel you have had poor service.  I'll be happy to give you a hand with this, make sure we address any problems that you have had with customer services and get everything straightened out.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sare22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Hi craig, i have filled in that form as response to your private message. I would appreciate if this could be sorted amicably. Can you just confirm or deny where i stand legally with my statutory rights to cancel? As already stated i was originally told i had the right to cancel within 14 days if not suitable for me or in the words of the live chat assistant "of course you get 14 days grace to decide"

I'd appreciate a resolution sooner rather than later as to be honest im just getting really stressed out with the whole thing

thanks  lee

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Under the Distance Selling Regulations, you do not have a right to cancel once the service has gone live.  BT allow you to cancel at any time up to then.

If the BT salesperson sold you the contract on the basis that you had 14 days to try out the service, then you should insist that they listen to the recording of the phone call, and insist that they abide by the offer that you agreed to.

Edit.  The chances are that a better aerial would solve your problem.

0 Ratings
sare22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the reply. You say you dont have a right to cancel once the service has gone live but how do you know the service is up to scratch untill it has gone live?
With reference to the aerial problem, maybe but its been fine for everything else and as such, it is one of the reasons i asked if it was no good i could cancel. It wasnt telesales by the way but live help assisting me through the sign up procedures.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@sare22 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. You say you dont have a right to cancel once the service has gone live but how do you know the service is up to scratch untill it has gone live?
With reference to the aerial problem, maybe but its been fine for everything else and as such, it is one of the reasons i asked if it was no good i could cancel. It wasnt telesales by the way but live help assisting me through the sign up procedures.

The Distance Selling Regulations aren't much use when it comes to services, except for giving you a right to cancel before the service goes live.  There are plenty of other consumer protection laws, but they would only apply if the service doesn't work, not if you don't like it.

I have no idea if BT logs what live help says.  BT's own Terms and Conditions won't help you at all.  I could be mean and point out that you should have read the T&Cs before signing up.  But there are loads of them, and it's a bit of a job to find what's relevant.

0 Ratings
sare22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Again, thanks for the reply. Essentially the service doesnt work. I can only get 12 channels. I cant even get bbc1, bbc2, itv1, c4,c5,itv2 etc etc etc. But again, its here nor there as i was told that i had 14 days to cancel the contract if it didnt suit me.
I just hope that the BT mods on here can sort me out as it just seems that BT customer services in general are just a bunch of liars.
0 Ratings