cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmccaughey
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

New customer TORTURED by nuisance calls

I just got my phone put in and already am tortured by calls from India (Lifestyle something - can't make it out).

This is a new line and supposedly ex-directory. I am at my wits end and this is really effecting my mental health. I can't take any more of these indians calling my house. I moved from Sky because of similar problems. I have a different number from my old one and within hours of turning the new number on I am back to these bastardes ruining my life again.

Does anyone know how these indian call centres are getting my number? I haven't told ANYONE my new number yet, not even my immediate family. The **bleep** phone is only plugged in.

I just don't know what to do any more. It's driving me out of my mind.

I have phoned nuisance calls section at BT but it just rings and rings. The number is witheld and the torturers are in India (which I used to want to go to but now hate), so telephone preference service will do nothing.

IS BT selling numbers?

Please can anyone help? I don't know how to stop them doing this to me.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: New customer TORTURED by nuisance calls

@kmccaughey wrote:

I just got my phone put in and already am tortured by calls from India (Lifestyle something - can't make it out).

This is a new line and supposedly ex-directory. I am at my wits end and this is really effecting my mental health. I can't take any more of these indians calling my house. I moved from Sky because of similar problems. I have a different number from my old one and within hours of turning the new number on I am back to these bastardes ruining my life again.

Does anyone know how these indian call centres are getting my number? I haven't told ANYONE my new number yet, not even my immediate family. The **bleep** phone is only plugged in.

I just don't know what to do any more. It's driving me out of my mind.

I have phoned nuisance calls section at BT but it just rings and rings. The number is witheld and the torturers are in India (which I used to want to go to but now hate), so telephone preference service will do nothing.

IS BT selling numbers?

Please can anyone help? I don't know how to stop them doing this to me.

Hi, It might be a new line but the number comes from a pool of numbers and might have been used before.

Being Ex-directory is of no concern to auto dialers, which just go through every number.

Have a read of this post.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

they find these number by using auto dialers that dial random numbers there is also the possiblity that whoever had this number befor you placed it around the internet or wasent exdirectory so they could of just got it from the phone book all phone numbers are recycled you know 🙂

0 Ratings
kmccaughey
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Just had another one since I wrote the post and it's from a "One stop loan shop" in the UK (well they have an 087x number). TPS means nothing either it seems.

There should be a system in place whereby nobody can call you without a valid identifying number. And paying £4-£6 per month to be able to reject these overseas calls is totally outrageous. I simply can't afford it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

@kmccaughey wrote:

Just had another one since I wrote the post and it's from a "One stop loan shop" in the UK (well they have an 087x number). TPS means nothing either it seems.

There should be a system in place whereby nobody can call you without a valid identifying number. And paying £4-£6 per month to be able to reject these overseas calls is totally outrageous. I simply can't afford it.

That would likely cost you money anyway.

Even asking for a new number is unlikely to stop them for long.

You have the 087xxx number then fill in the form on the TPS site ,giving as much detail as possible.

The TPS do take action. It can be a month sometimes before they have replied to my complaint(when my truecall unit was off) telling me that they are contacting the company etc,etc,etc.

But apart from paying for a sevice from your telephone company, or a truecall unit, the only other option is to get answer phone and let every call go through to the answer machine, just picking up on ones you want.

I should point out that the £4-6 a month you mention above does NOT stop incoming International calls. I believe only a Truecall unit will block International calls.

Just checked my Truecall log.

24/10/11-25/10/11

6 International calls

2 Unavailable numbers

and 1 numbered cold caller

All calls were picked up by the Truecall unit, so they were charged for the call, but apart from a flashing light on the unit not one of those calls got past the unit to annoy me.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
kmccaughey
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

It seems like Truecall will be my only option - I might be dead before I have saved up enough for it though as I am on disability.

I think the government should take this seriously and there should be legislation to prevent unwanted harassment. It should also be easy to refuse international calls - especially from India. i hate the **bleep**in place now, I can see how racism starts now, I really can. I've never felt like this in my life before but every time I hear that accent now it sends me into a rage I have neen so totured by them this last couple of months.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

In your case , please do not spend any money untill all options have been exhausted.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
shelly74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I have new number which i have only had for nearly 2 months. Had one call enquiring about a guy i dont know. Then had a second call from an Indian man telling me i am owed money from a loan, havent a clue and i hung up. Couldnt get number as it had been withheld. I am too ex-directory.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Hi shelly74, unfortunatly, new number or  ex directory will not fool auto dialers.

Totally agree with people who are outraged by what is happening.

It's my phone. It is for my use, I pay the bill, but the only way to control some of them is to use BT or another telecoms  add ons, choose to refuse, ACR etc, at an extra cost to you , or go the way I have, pay up front for a Truecall unit and then say goodbye to all the wasters.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
redmond456
Message 10 of 11

Read this:

http://bt.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/1552225/1263228496/redirect/1

the call barring section might help

0 Ratings