cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

New customer experiencing major problems with Internet and Phone!?!

I switched from Sky talk/broadband to BT only yesterday, and already I'm experiencing major problems. First of all, my download speed is nowhere near what I expected, or was quoted, when I originally did the line test (approx 35Mb). I'm actually only getting around 26Mb or 27Mb absolute maximum (the results seem to fluctuate from 20Mb to 27Mb but nowhere near 35Mb). Initially, I thought this could just be because it had only just been setup, but I know 2 other people in the same village who have switched to the same package (Infinity 1) and they received speeds of 36Mb immediately! On top of that, the connection I do have keeps dropping out! While I'm browsing the web I keep getting random periods of waiting for web pages to load, then it springs back to life. I logged in to the home hub and looked at the uptime and found that it keeps showing only 5 minutes for example, when in fact it's been up for hours! So it looks like the connection is going up and down, hence the problem with web browsing. And thirdly, my landline is completely dead!!!!

So to sum up:-

1. Only getting 26/27Mb absolute maximum rather than 35Mb quoted

2. Internet keeps frequently dropping out

3. I have no telephone line at all

Is there anyone on here who can help me get to the bottom of this? I sincerely hope this wasn't a mistake switching from Sky 😞

Thanks

John

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: New customer experiencing major problems with Internet and Phone!?!

was this self install or engineer?

go to hub then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats 1-12

can you enter phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068543+NQ43729931
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:10:33
6. Data rate: 9995 / 29000
7. Maximum data rate: 10523 / 28765
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 23.3
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.3
11. Data sent/received: 207.4 MB / 1.3 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: No

Telephone Number XXXXXXXXXXX on Exchange WICKERSLEY is served by Cabinet 44
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 49.9 35 11.8 7.2 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 42.8 24.7 11.8 5.2 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5 -- 4 to 6 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5 Up to 1 4 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Sounds very similar to my issue here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-2-activated-speeds-vastly-slower-t...

If you call your phone number, does it ring even though you have no dialtone? If yes, answer it and see if you get a ringtone as though you are calling someone.

If the above are all true then the engineer has bodged the install at the cabinet and Openreach will need to attend to fix it. Keep on at 151 until they get a fault logged and someone assigned.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

i don't think it's the same issue. when i dial my landline from my mobile it doesn't actually ring the phone in the house (although it sounds normal on the mobile i.e. the old ring ring... ring ring... tone!)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Be sure first to eliminate any possibility that your internal wiring is at fault;  otherwise Openreach will bill you £130 for the visit, and possibly charge you even more to "normalise" your wiring!

You can do this by plugging a traditional wired telephone into the test socket of your BT linebox.  The test socket is revealed by unscrewing and pulling out the lower half of the faceplate of the linebox.        This has the effect of disconnecting all internal telephone wiring.    If your home phone still doesn't ring when you call it from your mobile, then there's an external line fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 17

You need the phone line sorted if you have FTTC for the broadband to work properly.

Can you try the automated BT line check please? https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

there is no dial tone from the test socket in the master socket either

i've run the line check and it said...

Results of line test:    
We are carrying out more tests to determine if a fault is present. Sorry for any inconvenience
We aim to contact you by:- We will respond as soon as possible

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

i've just logged in to check the progress of my fault ticket, and BT have provided the following update yesterday morning.....

---------------------------------------------------

Fault diagnostic run

We have run a line test and we cannot find a problem with your line. The problem may be with your own equipment so we need you to carry out some tests. To get help with that click on the 'Help Section' on top right. If you have already checked your equipment and still have a problem then please call 0800 800 151.

If you have made an appointment already the details will be shown below. There is no need for you to do anything further

---------------------------------------------------

coincidentally, my landline sprung to life at somepoint in the last 24 hours, so something's obviously been fixed somewhere down the line. however, my infinity is still terribly slow

any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

As your line is now working, Can you repost your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings